1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Can you use your FAST to control a cold side wastegate?

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by Scotts87LX, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Scotts87LX

I've seen a few 10.5 outlaw cars with a wastegate on the inlet pipe. Is there electronic control of this wastegate, or is it purely mechanical? Is it tied into your DFI? or maybe part of an elaborate electronic boost controler set up? If the control is electronic, how does it work?

2. ShaneH

No, they're using a solenoid, hobbs switch/and or a digiset.

3. silverbullet

It is possible to use the nitrous function wiring on a FAST system to contol the opening / closing of a valve or wastegate. I know the FAST XFI has boost control functions but I don't know how it works. Most of the "pro-cars" I've seen use the digi-set and or NOS progressive controllers, etc.

4. Scotts87LX

You know, I was once told there were no stupid questions, only stupid people (and yes, the guy who said WAS an asshole). Apparently I'm a stupid person cause I need pitchers to cyfer dis stuff out.

5. silver_lite_nin

Scott you have asked some good questions.
    I think I may have answered your question on your other post for ya. I agree pics would help more, sorry for no pics. Once you understand the whole process and how the involved parts work and interact it gets a little easier. NOBODY knows everything. I sure the hell don't. The valve I use has 2 or 3 holes on each side. Once activated (using the trans brake switch), the intake pressure is diverted from one hole to another hole on the valve/solenoid. I purchased mine from precision turbo.

I cannot speak for any of the ignition system manufacturers but I do know a little bit about the Accel DFI (that has a 3 stage boost builder function) because that is what I use. This just helps to build boost at certain rpm's via keeping the engine at a specified rpm until you have reached the specified amount of boost (this happens quickly and there are also alternate tables within the function to work with). I do not know about the FAST or Bigstuff as I have never owned either. I do use a manual boost controller because "them there electric do-dads" are one more thing to possibly trouble shoot.

Hope this helped a little.

6. Otto J

The XFI has an internal boost control which is now a feedback style,If your already running another type of boost control you could use this control for the cold side.You could also use the external ouput that is set to activate at a certain Map(boost level) to control a solenoid

7. Sparky_wp

The Big Stuff 3 has a dedicated circuit and connector on the Main Harness for Boost. Currently the Big Stuff 3 will support three (3) timed stages of boost. This circuit can also be set up as PWM as well. In the main header of the Big-Comm software there is a Boost tab with associated tables and options. I have used this and I have customers that have used this option in the past with great success.
    The circuit is primarily made up of a positive input with three (3) ground outputs, being that you can choose either timed based or PWM will dictate either switched ground for time based or pulse ground for PWM. There are individual retard tables set up for each stage along with a starting line timing table. There is also a Boost Parameter Table for setting up either the timed based function or the PWM based function.

The Nitrous output on the old FAST (non XFI) is basically a Positive signal input (Pin A), with two (2) ground outputs (Pin B & C). These outputs are associated with a Nitrous Activation Table along with a Nitrous Fuel Table.
    You can set up the activation parameters within the Nitrous Activation Table. Basically you set up RPM and TPS thresholds along with the time delay (when you want the timers to activate). For example if you want the 1st stage timer to come on 1 second out you would enter a value of 1 here. This timer will go active and stay active as long as the RPM and TPS thresholds are met. Once the RPM and/or TPS values fall below their thresholds the timer will deactivate.

These circuits are ground output timed circuits and could be used to control a wastegate solenoid in a Turbo application. You would have to make sure that the solenoid being used does not pull more current then the timed circuit can support. This will lead to burning up the timed circuit. Most of these solenoids work off of very low amperage draw, so it shouldn't be an issue. When using the timed circuits in this fashion you would not use the Nitrous Fuel Table. The current Nitrous circuit within the FAST system could support two (2) timed stages

8. Sparky_wp

The Wastegate found on the Intake side (Coldside), of a Turbo application is usually activated through a solenoid with either a Trans Brake or Clutch Switch Signal.
    This wastegate is usually forced open on the starting-line to maintain consistent starting-line boost levels and to help relive Boost Creep. It's also utilized to help bleed off boost when the throttle has been slammed shut either when crossing the finish line and/or if a driver is forced to lift during a run. This helps relive the pressure on the back side of the throttle blades etc'¦.

9. Matt Parsons

Wouldn't the coldside wastegate also serve to raise the RPM where a motor makes x psi? If so, wouldn't that help the 60 because the rotating assembly is already at peak rpm when leaving the line?

I don't know anything about the subject, so I'm just aking.