1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Can you run two different hot side a/r on twin turbos

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by skippy, Nov 19, 2014.

1. skippy

just woundering If you can run say like a 110 a/r for top end and a 82 a/r for low end but use a 70 a/r cold side on both. would there be any advantage or will it just not work?

2. Mike86Stang

Seems to me it would cause tuning issues since exhuast flow will be more restrictive on one side vs the other. Not to mention power balance issues...

3. Jeremy

You could, you would have bank to bank a/f differences due to heat and pressure differences like noted. Unless you tried to waste gate one side with smaller ar to like 1psi less or something. I wouldn't mess with it imho.

If you want a variable ar you can get a twin scroll turbine with a spool or diverter valve. If ar is 1.00 on the twin scroll that's .5 per scroll. At no/low boost a valve is closed that forces all the flow through one scroll so you have the lowend response and torque of a .5ar and then at set boost level the valve opens and now you have the topend power of a 1.00ar using both scrolls.

4. skippy

ok thanks for the help. I think its safe to say stay with the same a/r and keep things simpler.