1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Can stock cams make power past 7k rpm?

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by firstsvt, Aug 31, 2010.

1. firstsvt

I don't mean to beat the stock cam issue to death here. I'm looking to see who is revving past 7k RPM with stock cams and still making power - 99's, 01's, 03/04's, maybe even the GT's

I'd really like to see some dyno graphs of people that use stock cams on their turbo setups. Singles, TT setups, aftermarket springs & retainers, whatever - just "stockish" cams

Please share dyno graphs if you have them and any other pertinent info - turbo(s), trans, other valvetrain mods, etc...

My setup is coming together and I'm using stock 03/04 cams for now, and I'll definitely need to turn 7k RPM to utilize the powerband of my turbo. Obviously a set of custom grinds would be ideal, but I may hold off if I can still turn good RPM and make power past 7k RPM with the stockers.

How high will stock cams make power in a turbo application, is the ultimate question.....

2. DIL

Not sure if the stock cams killed it or the intake 14 PSI 4.6 4V stock 03-04 Aviator cams.

dyno fox.jpg #ad

3. 99TTGT

4. firstsvt

Was this through an Auto ? Any times on the setup?

Intake?

Sounds like a killer setup

5. 99TTGT

the number with the 6169E is with a tko 600 by x2c

we have to upgrade to the 6769S at 30psi to make the same power threw a glide it , the car been mid 5's on the 1/8 mile @132

with the 76's the timming chain went south.... :(

here is the new setup:
    https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=128349.0

6. Stzang

This assuming you use stock cams but have comp springs. It's the springs that limit you more than the cams.

7. firstsvt

Yes, I have Comp Beehive springs and steel retainers - I revved to 7500 RPM last year with the F1C and had zero issues. I was just wondering if the stock cams would continue to make power at 7k+ RPM in a turbo application

8. 99TTGT

you will be fine , i rev to 7500rpms at the track
    I have the same setups with no issues..

9. firstsvt

do you have a pic of your dyno graph? i've got a tuner telling me that stock cams will flatten out at 6300-6500

I'm just curious to see your curve

10. 99TTGT

mine goes from 5000rpm to 7500rpms in the 1000rwhp mark <stock non ported heads & oem cams>
    http://www.streetfire.net/video/99ttgt-23psi_682908.htm

The benefit of a short runner intake<sullivan > & cams<billets cams> is that you can go over the traps at a higher rpm

the car will make the power no matter what, how you want to make it is up to you..

BTW
    never See a car make 50rwhp with cams in all the one I have installed
    is more like 30rwhp