1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Issues with vertically mounting a turbo charger?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Forcefed86, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Forcefed86

I know it's sort of an odd question. But I'm mocking up a build where space is a major concern.

If I mounted the compressor inlet facing up, would I have a problem with oiling? I'm using a scavenge pump anyway so gravity return is not a concern. I'm assuming the pressure side of the oil inlet would be fine. Just wonder about the return.

Thanks!

2. cpurtellII

I never thought but I would be worried about starving the turbine side or which ever side was up of oil . Plus I'm not seeing as a really space saving maybe I'm wrong thought . Oil pressure can only go so far I would think.

3. 68mustang

I wouldnt try it

4. 61falconman

The turbo drain needs to be pointing nearly straight down (or within 15-20 degrees) so you aren't constantly bathing the oil seals in oil. Otherwise, you'll likely end up with oil leaking past the seals and resulting smoking and leaking issues.

5. pdonk93lx

I am inclined to think you will starve one bearing journal of oil, and flood the other like that. There's a reason why they aren't mounted like that.

6. cpurtellII

All really good points Plus I haven't ever seen one mounted that way. Not say because we haven't seen it can't or shouldn't be done but you should think long and hard before trying it or doing it.

7. firechicken

Turbos are designed to be run with seals and thrust bearings horizontally
    I've seen tech drawings for older Airesearch and Schwitzer turbos which spec no more than +/- 6 deg from horizontal. Oil drains at no more than 30 deg rotated from vertical.
    Don't waste your time.