1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Camshaft recommendations please

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by mookandairin, Jan 27, 2022.

1. mookandairin

Hi all, its been a min since ive been here reading but I have a question only people who have been there done that can answer.
    I am looking for a hyd. roller camshaft recommendation for my Gen 1 SBC
    Ive got a 65 Chevy C10 stepside, (weighs about 3200# right now), Gen 1 SBC, .030 over (355), 8.5:1 cr, air to air cooler, Holley sniper Xflow 1375, Holley hyperspark ignition, single plane Torker 2 intake, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads, Twin 63mm T3/T4 turbos, Th-400 3 speed trans W/brake, 2 step, bump box, 3500 stall, Coil overs front/rear, Ladder bar back half, has a 4.56 in a Dana 60, 35 spline gun drilled axles (I know the gear needs to be changed yet because it is too deep for the 1/4 mile and my setup), 15X15X30 rear slicks, & a 8.50 cage
    I had a hyd F/T in it (Sum-1104) but noticed a cam lobe is wiped out on it. Seeing how I have a new set of Hyd. roller lifters sitting in a box for it, I mide as well use em for the overhaul it has gotten over the fall & winter I.E chassis, rearend etc. I just DON'T know enough or much at all about cam selection other than catalog surfing to do any good. I would like to be in the range of 2500-6500 rpm if I could.
    I am reaching out to people who know what they are doing so it is done right. I've got a email into cam motion but I want to know what's out there from your minds before spending the $400 before springs, retainers etc. on the first cam recommendation that came around. It is going to be a drag truck pure and simple. I maybe take it to the station up the block for fuel or to the local country road in the middle of nowhere for some Fri/Sat night call outs but thats about it. it is going to be running on pump gas or E-85 I haven't decided yet. it depends on fuel availability around my parts but thats about it as far as the truck goes.
    Thanks, if you need any more info I would be glad to give it to you

2. Mnlx

My opinion on this... The turbine side of your turbos is small for something with a decent cylinder head, I wouldn't spend the cash on a custom cam until you upgrade turbos. I would look for the cheapest roller you can find with @.050 duration in the 220-230 range on both lobes, and a lsa in the 112-114 range. It'll work decent now, and better if you decide to upgrade turbos.

tbird and B E N like this.
  3. B E N

I am with @Mnlx, my mind immediately went to something right around a comp XE284HR. Which is about what he described.

4. Disney Lincoln