1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo Name decoding and compressor maps

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by riche, Sep 15, 2017.

1. riche

I need help, Probably mental help at this point.
    I have been working with the compressor maps on the forums plotting rpm points. But I cant really understand for instance what a T-66 turbo actually is.
    Is it a 66mm inducer/exducer, compressor side/turbine side?
    Then when I think I got it figured out I notice there are several turbos that have the same wheel size and different A/Rs.
    I know yall have probably gone through this before but I really can't find anything in my searches.
    Would appreciate it if someone could straiten me out or point me to something that I can read.

2. B E N

Usually a turbo is sized by the compressor side, A t66 is just a 66 mm compressor. Compressors are sized based on the size and output of the engine. This is pretty common jargon across manufacturers: an s400 (s400 is a size family, they go from s200 through s500) can have a bunch of compressor sizes, and is usually termed something like s472 (72mm compressor) s480 (80mm compressor) and so on.
    A family of compressors has a family of exhaust housings that go with it, in the case of the s400 there are quite a few options and it is normally stated as something like 83mm 1.10 A/R in T4 or T6 (which is the exhaust housing foot size). Exhaust housing side is used to modify the way a turbo spools or behaves under max load.

Compressor A/R doesnt matter too much in most of our applications so there is a good possibility the A/R you are reading about is actually the exhaust size A/R since its the easiest way to tweak power bands, and express the total size of the turbo in brief. A/R is an expression that talks about the dimensions of the turbo itself (Garrett explains it well here: https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/turbine_housing_AR_and_housing_sizing)

Watch a youtube video on how to use matchbot, then go to http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/aftermarket/matchbot/index.html and play with it a little bit. It will help your understanding vastly.

riche likes this.
  3. riche

Thanks Bud, Appreciate the help

4. riche

Where can I find a compressor map for vs racing 78/75?

5. tbird

Not sure you can.
    VS is the same as ON3. On3 says on there site. "We dont have compressor maps"

If you find any , please post a link for others.

6. riche

The chart for the turbine sizing selector.
    Is the the MM on the right (turbine wheel dia) of the inducer or exducer of the turbine?