1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Campbell Hausfeld Professional Series MIG-Flux 130 welder?

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by reamo04, Apr 13, 2009.

1. reamo04

anybody use one or know anything about them? I found one local for dirt cheap, i found this online
    http://www.nolansupply.com/bysubcat... / 20% Duty Cycle &type=False&specs=True

however that is not the "Professional Series", the one i found says Mig-Flux 130 on the front just like that, however it also says professional series on it and it is black.

Now, if the welder really is almost a $1000 welder I will go ahead and pick it up, especially if it really does weld aluminum.

Just wondering if anybody has information on these, or even better - experience

2. BottleFed70

That looks closer to a $500 welder to me.

Some comments:
    - I bought my Millermatic 175 230V welder brand new for $850. A Miller 110V welder can be purchased for under $600.
    - I'd like to know how it is supposed to weld aluminum. MIG welders can do aluminum with the addition of a spool gun. Does this welder include the spool gun? If so, then $1000 is a pretty good deal. I doubt it comes with spool gun as they would advertise that. You will not want to weld aluminum using the regular wire feed. Pretty much any MIG can weld stainless.
    - Does it include hoses/regulators for the gas? You will want to use a gas shield. For the money they are asking, it should... but cheaper MIGS often won't include this equipment.
    - They brag about it needing up to 30amp circuit on the highest setting. That's good and all, but who the heck has a 30amp 110V circuit? Might as well go 230V at that point.

Seems like a lot of money unless I'm missing something. You can buy a Miller/Lincoln for cheaper, and get a better quality welder.

3. reamo04

I talked to VSracing about this welder, and he said that it can indeed weld aluminum. now, how is beyond me. The guy selling it said all that I would need to do is use a wire designed for aluminum. it does come with everything for gas welding, minus the tank. All I would be using the welder for is making hotsides, and id ove to be able to do aluminum so I can do cold sides as well. Also campbell hausfeld says it will weld aluminum as well. I guess I will have to check it out this weekend, and ask him to see the owners manual for the aluminum welding part.

4. Millhouse

Almost any 130 or 140 welder has the ability to weld aluminum now-a-days. How well is entirely up to the drive mechanism and internal sleeve. I believe the Millers and Hobart's have a Teflon liner you can purchase set-up specifically for aluminum. You can however use the stock liner....you just have blow it out with some compressed air to prevent any residual steel wire from contaminating the aluminum.

5. BottleFed70

People do weld aluminum with their regular wire feed (not the spool gun). But you have to use a thick wire, and most people have problems with the wire nesting on them.
    All I'm saying is that if it doesn't have the spool gun, then it's not worth $1000. You can buy a miller or lincoln welder for way less. Heck, you could pobably buy the miller welder AND spool gun for $1000.

I don't know what type of deal you are getting, but brand new that does not seem like a $1000 welder to me. I would buy a $500 miller instead.

6. Ironworker

The best way to weld aluminum with wire is through a spool gun, theres no 15 foot liner or sleep to get goofed up in , since the aluminum is so soft if it sticks anywhere you have to refeed the whole thing and you have lost another 15 foot of wire , rather than only having to travel 1 foot in the spool gun.Its realy not worth the hassle unless you can afford the gun.IMO :-X

7. reamo04

well i would be getting the welder with cart, mask, everything for 200 if that changes anybodies mind

but i think for now I will just save up for a long time and get a synchrowave

8. BottleFed70

$200 is probably a good deal if the welder is in good shape.

9. skipjobe

I have a Lincoln 170 and bought the aluminum feed set up about 5 years ago and have not yet hooked it up, because it is a pain to switch back and forth. In addition to that I have found that it is very difficult to weld aluminum with a mig. I was on a job sight and watched a pro weld with a spool gun and it produced some terrible looking work. Being an armature welder myself I have produced some pretty sloppy looking welds with steel. I personally would hold out for a tig because the finished work is something you can be proud of. I would watch Ebay for a used Lincoln or Miller in the 230 volt category they go a lot cheaper than the 110's because not everyone can wire for 230. Cambell Huasfield products are not that great in general, and you need to research the duty cycle to see if it will meet your needs. With that said @ $200 you probable would recoup if you don't like it.