1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Foxbody Fuel Pump Relay Wiring

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by irupp33, Jan 9, 2015.

1. irupp33

Hopefully somebody has some insight on this.
    Ive got no power at the fuel pump harness. If I run a wire to turn the pumps on the car will start and run fine.
    This happened out of nowhere the car was running fine.
    The EEC relay is working fine. You can hear it click when you turn the key, and everything else running off that is fine. The signal wire to the fuel pump relay under the seat isnt getting any voltage.
    The "always hot" wire is and again if I jump this wire over with a paper clip the car runs fine.

Where else would I be looking? Where does the fuel pump relay get its signal from?

2. Hemann

What year car?

The pump relay normally gets a signal from the EEC (Computer). I would think it would ground the low amperage side of the relay. That is how most Computers control a relay.

3. Mnlx

Fuel pump inertia switch?

4. irupp33

And the inertia switch is what it was. Is that something that people commonly delete?

It killed my pumps right at a hard launch at the track.

5. Hemann

Good catch. I forgot about that thing. I would bypass it.

6. Boost Engineer

Fuel Pump Intertia Switches are not that expensive, (can be found in junk yard vehicles of the same year), and save you from nasty hospital recovery issues down the road when a drunk plows into your vehicle and the fuel pump stays on (because you bypassed the switch).

Skip a couple of movies with your friends and just buy a proper switch for the system.

Tom V.

I had a friend (burned up in a fire at his home) because he was adding an electric fuel pump to his car, there was a spark, and he was burned over 80% of his body by the fire. May he rest in peace.

7. Rickracer

Or, you could make it like a lot of GM vehicles, and add a switch that won't let the pump run when it has no oil pressure.... I maintain a fleet of taxis, (used to be all Crown Vic/Grand Marquis), and every few weeks, a taxi would get towed in, or a driver will call, with a dead vehicle.... reset, or have them reset, the inertia switch and good to go again, usually happened after going over a big bump or dip, or hitting a speed bump a little too fast, once even when somebody slapped the right rear quarter panel...

8. TTF/Ken Staff Member

How does it start? There is no oil pressure if the engine isn't running, so the pump isn't running... no fuel pressure, no start. :dontknow:

9. Jeremy

Check fuel pump fuse and oem relay for ingnition, inertia switch.

10. ACJ

11. Rickracer

Wow, I answered this question yesterday with a few paragraphs, what happened???
    Short answer: On most GM and many Chrysler vehicles, the ECM primes the fuel pump for a few seconds.

12. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Dunno. You put in a reply but it didn't show up?

Thank you. Makes sense.

13. Rickracer

It showed up when I posted it, then I went later to look at a reply, and my post was gone.
    You could accomplish the same thing with a "prime button", which could also act as a theft prevention device too, no prime, no start, no run.

14. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Don't know, don't show any moderator activity in this thread in the mod logs. Server logs show three hits to the newreply program from your IPs (I replaced with "xx" below):

xx.xx.xx.xx - - [10/Jan/2015:10:38:38 -0600] "POST /newreply.php?do=postreply&t=377399 HTTP/1.1" 200 2270 "https://www.theturboforums.com/threads/377399-Foxbody-Fuel-Pump-Relay-Wiring" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/39.0.2171.95 Safari/537.36" "gzip, deflate" "-" "-" "en-US,en;q=0.8" "*/*" "-" "keep-alive" "-" "-" "-" "-" "-" "-" "-"
    xx.xx.xx.xx - - [11/Jan/2015:11:43:58 -0600] "POST /newreply.php?do=postreply&t=377399 HTTP/1.1" 200 2419 "https://www.theturboforums.com/threads/377399-Foxbody-Fuel-Pump-Relay-Wiring?p=1949124" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/39.0.2171.95 Safari/537.36" "gzip, deflate" "-" "-" "en-US,en;q=0.8" "*/*" "-" "keep-alive" "-" "-" "-" "-" "-" "-" "-"
    xx.xx.xx.xx - - [13/Jan/2015:07:22:39 -0600] "POST /newreply.php?do=postreply&t=377399 HTTP/1.1" 200 2089 "https://www.theturboforums.com/threads/377399-Foxbody-Fuel-Pump-Relay-Wiring?p=1949342" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/39.0.2171.95 Safari/537.36" "gzip, deflate" "-" "-" "en-US,en;q=0.8" "*/*" "-" "keep-alive" "-" "-" "-" "-" "-" "-" "-"

Was it with Tapatalk or anything like that? (logs don't show individual activity with Tapatalk to that detail level).

Anyway, maybe better to split this into another discussion so the topic isn't derailed.

15. Rickracer

No big deal Ken, just thought it was curious... I am always either on the shop computer or the home computer, both Bright House Network, about 1.3 miles apart.

16. Boost Engineer

I was reading this thread tonight and do not have a clue what happened to the thread.

Tom V.