1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Head Gasket suggestions for LT1 boost application

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by PerformanceSS, Sep 21, 2015.

1. PerformanceSS

I've been running the FelPro 1074's for years, but have had several failures. Not all due to gasket issues! Anyone have advice and experience with the best option these days for head gaskets. I'm running AFR 210cc LT4 heads on both my 95 turbo Z28 and my 95 ProCharged TransAm. Any suggestions and input appreciated.

2. TT400

Multi layer steel or MLS head gaskets by Cometic with ARP head studs , should be good for 18-20 psi. they are available in different thicknesses.

3. whitneyj

Is o-ringing the heads or block an option?

4. TT400

O ringing or V ringing the block not the heads as aluminium is too soft can be solution but it can come with issues, leaking coolant is sometimes a problem on cold engines but if its purely a race engine and only does track time its a small problem , on a street engine with regular cold starts it can become messy with coolant stains everywhere .how much boost and hp are you making ?

5. whitneyj

I'm not making anything currently, but I'm building for only 9psi. It's more of a "for my information".

I'm not sure what V-ringing is and I don't understand why o-ringing would cause coolant leaks? All o-ringing does is add more crush to the firering of the head gasket does it not?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  6. TT400

9psi you will be ok with good gaskets and studs .V ringing is the same as oringing just different shaped ring , has sharp point as opposed to half moon pushing into gasket .oringing requires a softer gasket which for some reason are bad for leaks , I think your safe with 18-20 psi before you start lifting heads.

7. whitneyj

Ah, ok, that makes sense then. I hadn't planned on o-ringing the head as I don't have an Isky tool that'll work on a 350's bore. I had planned on MLS gaskets and studs once the stockers puke with retoruqed head bolts.

Thanks for the info. Gasser stuff is fairly new to me turbo-wise.

8. Twin Turbo Skylark

Do the studs and good gaskets before you blow a gasket...