1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Holley Systemax II intake, F-Cam, & Stock pistons

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by boostedfoxbody, Jul 16, 2004.

1. boostedfoxbody

Question for my future project:

I'm looking for a very good set of out-of-the-box heads. For the time being I will be using the stock pistons, and want to avoid notching them. Can I run Vic Jr. heads with the stock pistons ('95), or am I limited to a 2.02 intake valve? What other heads will work really good with the Holley Systemax II intake?

I know the TEA TW 185 heads will probably be my best option, but I don't like the price - $1,800.00+

2. 67turbostang

I use afr 185's on my car, with same cam, same pistons... I love em. I didnt have to notch, none of that junk. Just make sure you buy the upgraded spring package.

3. boostedfoxbody

What's the best price on the AFR 185s?

Thanks.

4. boostedfoxbody

By the way, what pushrod length did you use?

5. Bobby

I use the AFR 185's. I used the 6.35" trick flow pushrods.

6. 67turbostang

Ummmmm... pushrod length. I used the stock ones, I didnt realize at the time I should use any other lenngth. These rods are holding up just fine to 6500, so I dont know if you need to worry about that. It would be interesting to know if using a different length would be better.

I got mine for 1300 delivered, but that was with the "I work for a Ford Dealer" Discount...

7. 88BlkTtop

so what you guys are saying is with the F303, AFR 185s and stock pistons you don't need to notch? if that's true a set of those heads are in my immediate future

8. 67turbostang

Yeap, thats what I am saying.:tu:

9. Camwfo

as for the pushrod thing... from extensive experience I would never put a new set of heads on without checking the valve train for the correct pushrod size with an adjustable pushrod. I at a guide and a pison on a set of trick flows because I used a set of stock sized PR's on my TFS heads. After the piston and valve experience I learned quickly about setting up the valve train.