1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Cam motion cam

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Rotax, May 4, 2006.

1. Rotax

I called cam motion and asked for a tight lash solid roller for my setup , 331 T88 AOD wanting 7k shift points and 7500 max rpm.

They came with 225°/221° @ 0.050" .531"/.526" 114°LS

Since my heads flow good to .600" i don't understand, plus the duration figures seems real low.
    I compared similar combos in the " post your cam specs" post, and the one they come up with is no where close to them.

How does it sound to you? I mean, an F303 looks more agressive than this. I know there is more than duration and lift, but i want your input.

Just don't tell me they know what they are doing, i want something more constructive.

2. Saleen91

Where did you rank the cam you wanted between agreesive and mild? I've learned with the past 2 cams that I've bought from them that if you aren't all the way, or 1 away, from "very agressive" that they go very conservative on their grind specs.

3. Rotax

Was the power real different between both, what about the power band?

4. engineermike

Don't put too much stock in Cam Motion recommendations. They're not the Gods that everyone thinks they are.

5. Injected65

Anybody hear where Terry from Cam Motion went to? I have always had great luck with the cams he designed when he was still working there.

Chris

6. svooh

Care to elaborate your experience? To maybe justify the kick in the nuts?

7. engineermike

Here goes again. . .

8. Rotax

Anybody ever deal with Turbo People in NY?

9. No4njnk

I will find out where he went. I heard awhile back but I forget. Ever since Terry left the cams have really gone to crap.

10. engineermike

It's the same cams that they used to sell from the same catalog that Terry chose them out of using the same lobes. If anything, they've gotten better because they just bought a CNC cam grinder.

11. MEAN_SBC

Have you thought about using Cam Master Jay with Camshaft Innovations???? I know he does a lot of the big ford forced induction cams...

www.camshaftinnovations.com

12. svooh

Wow. Thanks for the clarification...seriously. Interesting indeed.

13. hitman 185

i agree..

they have had that for a loonnnggg time.. they ONLY do billet blanks on it.. a normal cam gets ground the old school way.

Terry ground a cam for me.. i did pick up a bit but not what it could of for the specs.. my opnion is they spec cams BIG..

i had a renound cam guru reverse enginere the cam.. he said if i would of changed my combo a couple of ways the cam would of been a monster.. thats all good but i paid $300 to get it ground to my combo.

if anyone wants the cam its for sale..

also, if im not mistakes Terry is a hard core chevy guy.. arnt chevy grinds a good deal different than typical ford grinds? that may be why his grinds seem wierd..

14. No4njnk

15. hitman 185

16. white95v6

here is one that they spec'd for a 331 single 90mm turbo in a 3300lb car with a glide. i asked for a shift of 6600 and max rpm of 6900.

Duration (intake/exaust) 230/224
    Lift (intake/exaust) .552/.540
    Lobe Center Separation 114
    Intake Centerline 110

also i think that the cam they spec'd for you is waaaaayyy too small. and also the cam they spec'd for the 331 i was talking about i think was small.

17. Rotax

So i'll try cam master Jay and maybe give Turbo people a shout.

18. bdass86coupe

Also try Erson cams call and ask for Steve Tanzi he ground me a sweet cam lots of duration and fair amount of lift.

19. 8950LX

Trentk made over 700rwhp with a Cam Motion grind smaller than the one listed above. Any thoughts on that??? :hmm:

A few years ago Youngs Performance made well over 1100fwhp on a single turbo 331, hyd roller with only 236 duration on both sides and mid .550" lift on a 114LSA. Not sure whose grind it was though.... :hmm:

20. engineermike

More recently, a guy with an LT1 made 990 rwhp with a 355/T76 using a 218/218 cam not ground by Cam Motion.