1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Koenigsegg proprietary response/back pressure reduction system?

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by foxstanggt, Oct 7, 2011.

1. foxstanggt

http://www.koenigsegg.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Koenigsegg_press.pdf

Go to page 3 first paragraph.

"Fuel consumption, and thus CO2 emissions, has been lowered. This is an astonishing feat for a 900+ hp hypercar. Turbo
    response is of vital importance when it comes to driving pleasure and the possibility to control massive amounts of power.
    Therefore Koenigsegg has joined forces with Borg Warner and adapted to the latest technology when it comes to turbine
    materials. The Agera R turbines are made from a material called Gamma-Ti which is an inter metallic compound comprised of
    aluminium and titanium. This new material drastically reduces the inertia of the turbine wheel and axle and therefore gives
    improved response. Furthermore Koenigsegg has coupled this latest generation turbo technology with patent pending and
    proprietary response/back pressure reduction system, invented by Christian von Koenigsegg to really give the Agera engine a
    competitive edge when combining maximum power while complying with the strictest emission regulations in the world."

Any ideas on what they are doing here?

2. cat herder

Probably keeping the wastegates open until boost is needed.

3. 10secgoal

I wonder if they have taken into consideration how water as a natural by product of an engine is going to play in the durability of those wheels. Hate to be one of those "I heard guys" but straight from his mouth the do not like rapid change in temp. They are the shit, but so far has not held up to temp change well at all.

4. 302f150

To me it sounds like something to reduce backpressure while letting the car still pass emissions. This sounds like a bypass when under boost, that way the car can still pass emissions under normal conditions, and then at WOT you have no restriction in the exhaust. So basically a boost activated cutout is what I think

5. Boost Engineer

"Ti-AL" Compressor Wheels have "been around" for a while.

Better durability vs Ceramic Wheels like the Buick Guys tried years ago.

Obviously a lighter weight wheel that is stronger will give you a better "Time to Torque" number.

You reduce back-pressure you will improve the efficiency of the system. Racers have known that forever.

New spin on an old tune.

Tom Vaught

6. Disney Lincoln

Now if you could just explain their transmission to me......

I work on the Nissan GT-R GR6 transaxle, so this Conansegg transmission really interests me.