1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Curious about a Reverse Procharger D1sc on BBC or a twin setup?

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by BLUWHALE, Feb 7, 2015.

1. BLUWHALE

Wondering if its worth the work to fab up brackets and go this route as I can score a basically mint shape one for $1500 Canadian Funds with a carb hat....curious how much it will stick out in the front etc....or if maybe just doing a more budget twin setup may be better...I have a 489 BBC Forged everything that was built for future boost...gonna start with this project next winter and just drive it naturally aspirated for now....Im not looking to kill it with HP im assuming it makes about 500ish hp now and 550 tq now...its in a big heavy car so the tq is more important to me but numbers wise im thinking 800 900 or in the area...I like drivability since it doesn't see much track and the 3.42 gears seem like a good happy medium with my turbo 400 now....just wondering what others may think....I can provide more info if needed I can fab a lot myself as I have the means to do so...thanks in advance guys....im a noob here but not new to boost..

2. Drac0nic

Consensus is their bracketry sucks and flexes so building your own could possibly have a silver lining. Look for Walt's build thread (Project Slow it Down) he has a BBC Chevelle with a Procharger on it and it runs really well. It's a simple combo but it still works well. If you have a mill the Procharger route may not be a bad one. It will be spendy machining stuff otherwise.

Twins on the other hand are somewhat of a mixed bag. That being said the Chiawanese turbos seem to work well enough. Getting stuff to fabricate in a set of twins (portaband/chop saw, MIG welder) is typically a lot easier to do than milling brackets for a Procharger.

That's the stuff I'd keep in mind. You'll make nice power either way. Depending on your car's configuration I'd even consider a big single depending.

3. BLUWHALE

Thanks for the info I ended up buying a F1A procharger couldnt pass up the deal it was pretty amazing just the head unit so still have to gather all the other stuff but its regular rotation so I can just buy from procharger if I have to I guess....or maybe trade this off for something I can use right away? f1a is overkill for what I wanna do but at least it wont work hard....

4. BlownShovel

The F1 is a nice piece. It should allow you to spin it at a moderate speed to reach your goal. 3.42 and th400 is just right. Especially if you get into the 28+ tire range. What is the rest of the engine/car combo? Keep in mind you will want to make sure the torque converter and fuel system are up to the task.

5. BLUWHALE

Tires are 28.5 upgrqding my fuel system for sure and having a torque specked out for it for sure....its a forged 489 bbc rotating assembly brand new GM block.... Built it purposly for future boost its going in a boat impala 74 2 dr hd tp...motors in an running now hoping I wasnt.scammed on the procharger....thats another whole story....