1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

is this a good trade?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by ashford, Feb 19, 2012.

1. ashford

im planning an engine swap in my 62falcon. im pulling out the 306 and installing a 4.6DOHC hopefully it will fit :welder:

a guy i know stopped in and was interested in my old(just rebuilt) 302 when i get it out. he want's to put it in his 91 gt. he offered me his unassembled 427w shortblock for my 302. it has been sitting on the shelf for 8 years and might have some rust. i havent seen it yet but will probably look at it if things move along.

my 306 was rebuilt about 1500 miles ago. it has stock crank rods and hyper pistons, ford x306 heads, scorpion rockers, stock cam, explorer intake and 70mm tb and ergspacer. should just drop right in his car. if i pull this engine it will probably sit for years unused if not sold, im going away from 302 based engines, they feel like dinasaurs to me nowadays.

would this be a good trade?

2. mustang-junky

I would say not a good deal. You know your stuff is good, who knows why his stuff is unassembled and sitting on a shelf. Could be some machining issues. Also your heads are worth some money as they are. I have found it is harder to sell a shortblock than a set of heads.
    Jess

3. PrecisionTurboMustang

I'd do it. He would have to make sure the 427 is machined if necessary.

4. wazslow

Need more information on what the 427 shortblock components are, but if they are decent I'd trade in a heartbeat!

5. ashford

he showed me the reciepts. it is a coast high performance kit. not sure on the brand crank and rods just that they are forged and the rods are hbeam 6.25 the pistons are srp's and a stock block. the rotating assembly has been balanced for 50.oz setup :bang: so that will have to be redone. he had receipts for $4500 then he had a kid. im more worried about how much rust it has i saw it 2 years ago and it wasn't too bad

6. ashford

i got my 4.6 running and traded my stuff.

the 427 is a reground 400 crank i think, anyways its a ford crank. the rods are 6.25 probe h beams and probe pistons about a 25cc dish. the block is a 79 :bang: . rust is not an issue the block was double bagged with desicant and sat in his bedroom closet. the rods and pistons were assembled and dipped in oil. just some minor rust on the head surface and some on the crank that polishing should take care of.

also he threw in his old 302. 120k it still had the stock clutch and flywheel on it. the clutce was pretty much worn out ant the flywheel has almost no wear on it still has the machining marks, so it was babied.

7. revn351

Sounds like a good deal. Now where's the pics of your car with the new engine.

8. ashford