1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Buying My First Tractor

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by BreakDancer, Jun 13, 2012.

1. BreakDancer

I have spent more time and money this year fixing lawn mowers than my cars, I think its time to face the fact that we have to much land for a normal riding mower. I started looking at tractors I have never owned one before and I don't have much experience with them. I don't have a bunch to spend I'm trying to stay under 4g What I need it to do is plow snow and run a mower deck bigger the deck the better LOL. I looked on CL and there seem top be some options out there altho they are all pretty old which I'm not sure how important that is. any information you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated as I don't even know the right questions to ask. Here are some I was looking at.

http://erie.craigslist.org/grd/3056736362.html

http://erie.craigslist.org/grd/3074247001.html

http://erie.craigslist.org/grd/3045729811.html

http://erie.craigslist.org/grd/2986903895.html

2. TT_05_Stang

The 9n is a great tractor. I have a 9n and a jubilee, and both have tons of hours of grass cutting... over 50 years of the same fields, 100+ acres.

3. BreakDancer

I was just reading wiki on these. is there anything specific I should look at or ask about? Also if it doent have the locking rear option will it still plow with just weight and chains. Does the asking price seem fair?

4. Disney Lincoln

Check the wheels real good to make sure they aren't about to rust through. Turns out that can be an expensive fix.... Who knew?

5. TT_05_Stang

Very true they use Calcium water inside of the tires. If they have been ever filled with regular water they can rust through. Although usually tires and rims are abour 250 a pop.

6. TT_05_Stang

Its pretty clean... and depending on how it runs its pretty close. My grandfather used to restore them and fully show quality can go upwards of 10k...

One thing is it has a live PTO... I have run up a many tree with a bush hog... so know you will be pushed around. Second thing that goes is the hydraulics. Make sure it lifts without issues. You can tell how well the seals are if you lower the rpm all the way down and stand on the arms. Then slowly pull lever up. It will pulse.

Biggest upgrade is converting 6v to 12v... if they have not done that already. The starter/generator will have issues every 7-8 years and need to be rebuilt running on 12v but not hard job.

Fuel tanks can get rusty, and have sediment, check the glass sediment bowl...

VERY easy tractor to work on... and with no weights will push 3+ feet of snow no issues. We used a plow on the back that we turned 180*, and backed up pushing... worked like a charm...

7. TT_05_Stang

The tractor will bury itself before it lacks in power...

8. MONTEGOD7SS

We are in the market for a tractor and if I can't swing a Massey 135 then it'll probably end up being an 8N or 9N. We have an Exmark for mowing, this would just be for plowing deer plots and dragging shit around the property. I like the idea of a diesel, but I know shit about them to try to fix one. The 8N and 9N were just regular 4cyl gas motors so tune one up just like you would a car. More to go wrong, but at least I could fumble my way through a gasoline engine repair.

9. Mnlx

I have never been a fan of the ford 8/ 9n's. They are nice to get on/ off, but lack power IMO...... (sure they would be fine for mowing though). I have always liked the Allis Chalmers C, CA, or some of the D series, or maybe the Farmall/ International Cub, or A like you posted. Sometimes you can find a good deal on one of the industrial versions.

Edit: I dont know much about the Massy 135, but that looks like a nice all around tractor.

10. Bad Medicine Racing

I have a 5020 Allis Chalmers. It is a fine little tractor and does everything I need. I would steer you heavily towards a diesel tractor. More power and basically all you do to them is change the filters and oil. They use way less fuel than a gas powered tractor too. I have had my little tractor for 6 or 7 years and that is all I have ever done to it.

For reference, if you don't know what "live pto" is, it means the pto and the drive wheels are basically connected. When you have an implement, such as a bush hog, that carries a lot of inertia as it is running, if you try to stop and simply press the clutch pedal, you will not stop. The spinning blades will continue to turn the pto shaft and you will just keep on rolling until the bush hog stops spinning.

Here is a great website to search for used tractors and equipment: www.tractorhouse.com

One more thing, stay away from the yanmars, they grey market kubotas and pretty much any other brand tractor that does not have common dealers here in the usa. While they are very good machines, they can be VERY difficult to get parts for. They grey market kubotas are easily identified by the very deep lugged rear tires. I would recommend you try to find a brand with a dealership in close proximity to where you live. Just my $0.02

11. Mnlx

^^^^^ I agree with this, if you can find a diesel in your price range.

12. BreakDancer

Thank you for all the info I have been bouncing between this thread and Google all day. That live pto seems alittle scary I have a huge hill that ends in a deep ass ditch. I think a diesel will not be in the cards this go round unless a awesome deal pops up. I found one to go look at been talkin to the guy I'm hoping to check it out tomorrow. It's a fergason from what I read its basicly a 8n. It comes with a finish mower and plow.

http://erie.craigslist.org/grd/3050962735.html

Here is the photo he sent

1009111156.jpg #ad

13. half-fast

DONT BUY IT SHE IS UGLY!!! haha i mean the girl in the backround

14. BreakDancer

HAHA I think he agree's he said they are divorcing.

I'm going to check this out this afternoon. I'm just gonna be honest with the guy and see if he starts Bsing me. I will get more pics of wife If you want Half-Fast LOL.

15. half-fast

show me that ass!! haha

16. ashford

she thinks that tractor's seeexy

17. furchaser

If you can find a 706 Farmall / International diesel it will be the last tractor you will ever need for day to day shit.

18. BreakDancer

I Think I got it narrowed down but Im stuck between two.

Massey Ferguson 35 with a gas 4cy continental
    http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/7/2/729-massey-ferguson-35.html

Good:
    live pto with 2 step clutch
    More HP 37
    Calcium filled tires

Bad:
    Will not stay running (Seems to be a fuel issue because you can play with the throttle to keep it going when it starts stumbling)
    Tires are weather checked Id say tread is around 65%
    Has almost 6000 hrs
    exhaust manifold has large hole

Ford 8N with 4cy gas engine
    http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/2/2/223-ford-8n.html

Good:
    Engine overhauled in last 5 yrs
    Tires are in good shape

Bad:
    Small oil leak from front of the engine
    PTO is not live
    10 less HP
    Needs new seals in brakes on one side

I'm not sure what the smart choice is here is the live pto and 10 hp worth the little bit of a gamble? The prices of the tractors are within 500 bucks so that is not huge factor but the Massey is the cheaper one. They both look real clean for what they are.

19. MONTEGOD7SS

The Massey 35 is how I would go. I love the 35s, 135s, and 235s, as that's all I've been around personally.

20. craig6.9diesel

I was on my dads Farmall 560 all last weekend. Its been converted to the wide frontend and been in the family since it was new! I love this tractor and I hope I get it when my dad doesnt use it anymore.