1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Building up a 351w for a future Turbo Upgrade

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Rtharp1234, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Rtharp1234

Hi everybody

I have a 1969 Mercury Cougar that I'm in the process of Restomodding.

I just had the transmission swapped out for a Stage 2 Wide Ratio AOD with a 2500 stall converter.

Now it's time to dig into the 351w. I really like to do a turbo.

I'm worried a bit about my budget so my thinking to just build the engine up first preparing for the turbo and then upgrade the exhaust and a few other things that usually should be done with high horsepower.

Once all that's done upgrade add the turbo. I was thinking of one of the ON3 kits, and I'll obviously have to modify it some as those shock towers is going to make for some tight clearances. I'm thinking probably notch the shock towers and relocate the battery for the trunk.

So while I'm studying here and reading up. I thought I'd get suggestions from members of what I should do while upgrading this engine. I've got a 1969 351w block. I'll have the machine shop check it for cracks and such.

I m planning on upgrading the heads to some AFR's. I'm considering the 195 cc heads with the 72cc compression (compared to the 58cc since I'll be adding boost). I'm thinking a nice Edlebrock RPM Performer intake.

Some good forged dished pistons for the valve clearance and ability to handle boost. ARP headbolts for the boost.

Suggestions on the 351w internals? I'll probably update the carb to an Throttle Body EFI kit when I update and add the turbo. Suggestions, thoughts?

I know that planning for boost is going to make for a high hp monster.. until the boost is added.. I don't want it to be a complete let down until then but I still want to have that boost. By the way the Transmission is rated at 750 hp.. so I'm probably going to shoot for mid 600's with boost to give it some cushion.

Thanks in advance

Robert

2. Disney Lincoln

I like having a plan! Let's see where I can find holes in it.
    1. ON3 kit won't work. Not even a good idea to start with it. Since nobody makes a turbo kit for a 351W in a 69 Cougar, you're going to need to do some fab work.
    2. I'd go with the smaller chamber heads. You don't need 8.5:1 to add a turbo. They work on 10.5:1 too.
    3. Spend the money now to make the engine nice. Good oil pan, windage tray, studs, intake, etc. You'll enjoy the good engine now and it'll be that much better once you add boost.
    4. Consider a supercharger. If you're not keen on fabbing up your own turbo kit, then a Vortech or Procharger will get you up there in the HP without all the fuss.

3. Briansshop

I'd go for a single plane intake.

You'll be able to make 650hp with little effort.

The stock 351w bottom end will work for power goals and then some.

Pump gas?

4. Rtharp1234

Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to be reading posts/articles soon and soak up all I can.

One other request. Any members here you can recommend I make friends with? Gearheads in Southern CA in particular San Diego, Riverside, LA, and Orange County and/or members with experience with the 351w.

And to answer that question yep just premium pump gas, no plans on racing fuel.

5. 91turboterror

IDK The two people who responded to your post know there way around turbo Small block Fords. There are more people on here too.

6. Pro-SC

You also might consider a stroker kit and build a 408 for it. This way you will not notice the lost power out of boost with the lower c/r while running n/a. Get it up and running good with the sniper or Fitech and then add your turbo when ready.

MCA and Disney Lincoln like this.
  7. B E N

You will want to add some chassis stiffening to your to do list, those cars are built about as well as a paper airplane. A good set of heads and intake is a great way to start, they are going to let you drive the car with some power and get the chassis in a good place before you really put the wick to it. Good intake, a modest cam, heads and middle of the road compression will get you to around 450 and you won't need a lot of boost to hit your goal at that point. With the wide ratio AOD and a little bit of stall I see no reason not to run a single plane intake like Brian mentioned. Read his build, he has pushed an SBE 351w quite a bit further than your looking to go.

Your right to be concerned about the shock towers, 351w with headers are a tight fit in these bays, with the correct headers they can be made to fit without modifying the towers at all. You should be able to get a custom built turbo kit in there with a set of manifolds with little issue. I would avoid modifying towers if you can help it, jut because it really drives up the project cost if you can't do your own sheet metal work.

8. Rtharp1234

Thanks again guys.

I have an export brace in the car already. I was planning a monte carlo bar in the future. There is a kit from west coast classic cougars for adding some welds to the shock towers to really make them solid and small pieces of steel welded to the crossmember to stiffen it up to. I also have a piece of steel screwed in behind the back seats which helps stiffen the rear somewhat. I'll definitely take those recommendations into consideration.

I thought of a stroker kit. 408/393 , and also a supercharger. I like being different and how a turbo really only makes your engine a fuel toilet when you step on it. I'd prefer not to have single digit gas mileage which is also why I'm leaning towards a milder cam with the heads and intake.

I also like the idea that you can adjust boost really easily. Weekend fun one setting, economy for another, hot desert driving vs cold winters too.

It looks like a turbo log manifold will be the easiest solution to get around those shock towers.

It has also been recommended on another forum to get an external cooler to that transmission in addition to the radiator cooler. It may bump up what the transmission can handle but also is just cheap insurance for longitivity.

Suggestion on heads. I'm sold on AFR from my research and now I know go for the higher compression heads. What size do you feel would be best. The 185? 195? Or the 205? These are the best prices I've found
    https://www.adperformance.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=68_100_114

9. EGFORDGUY

Its not that hard to build your own turbo kit. I just finished building mine in my 1964 ranchero and if I could fit a turbo kit in there you can fit one anywhere.
    I used some on3 parts to build mine because i was on a budget too. I can always upgrade later as needed. The main point is just start building it and have fun with it!

10. Briansshop

I'd go big on the heads. I ran AFR 225s on a 302 and it was good to go.

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  11. 91turboterror

Afr 185s would work well on a 351. The 195s and 205s would be fine too.As well as a single plane intake. With efi and a turbo you’d get much better fuel mileage.

12. PEARL MUSSIN

Go with the AFR 205's and a victor jr intake.. I run 8.8:1 Compression on 93/110 and it loves boost. ARP stud/bolt EVERYTHING you can.

13. Rtharp1234

Thanks again. I'm starting to get a picture of what to do.

First off the consensus seems to be a single plane manifold. This is especially due to that fact I have a 2500 stall converter. It sounds like a Victor Jr Manifold will be what I end up going with. This was NOT on my radar at all as I was thinking Performer RPM but I'll go with the majority here and listen as I asked for advice.

ARP bolts all around. No argument. More expensive but known to be the best and can potentially help with boost. Will do>

Forged Dish Pistons. forged for strength and the deep dish for valve clearance

AFR heads. It seems I can go with any of the choices. What I am gathering is the bigger heads are usually more power but will also decrease mpg. I'm considering doing the middle of the road 195's to get a mix of efficiency and power. Also as turbo might be 2-3 years away, so go ahead and get the higher compression rated heads. I can still run boost with the higher compression especially as the overall end goals aren't shooting for the moon. (thanks as I was planning on going LOW compression due to the future boost but it would have been a let down with the low compression until I boost it)

Stock internals overall.

A semi mild cam is my preference. 95% sure I have a flat tappet cam. It will probably stay flat tappet for cost. Possible custom grind??

Holly Sniper EFI will be in the near future.. before the turbo, as well as an exhaust upgrade.
    Some Chassis stiffening too :)

THEN a turbo which will have some custom work to it to make it all work. Overall goal = about 650 hp. w/mild boost. I have some research /reading to do here before I take that step.

I'm guessimating with the above I'll probably be about 425 hp until the boost give or take a bit.

Robert

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  14. B E N

15. Disney Lincoln

I'd spend the money for a hyd roller camshaft. Other than that I think you're on the right track.

B E N likes this.
  16. 70 5.0Merc

Sounds like a good plan. I went with a 302 in my 70 Cougar. Fits well except for my down pipe being 2-3 inches off the ground. I agree with using a roller cam if you can.

17. PEARL MUSSIN

I run a small base circle cam from Cam Motion (Turbo gring) I just drill/tapped the lifter valley to use the 302 OEM spyder hold down and dog bones and lifters. Works great. I was too cheap back in the day to get the link bar lifters.

18. silver82GT

I did the same thing on an early 351W block. Worked fine. I too used new factory lifters, dog bones and spider hold down.

19. Rtharp1234

Thanks everybody for the advice the 351w is currently out of the vehicle and has been dropped off at the machine shop for inspection/work. It looks like this 1969 Block has never been touched before from what aim hearing. The engine has definitely taken a beating over the years.

It was recommended by my mechanic that we may want to go ahead and do a stroker kit as I may possible need a new crank depending on its condition and the cost will be rather similar if I have to get a new crank. I'm thinking if I do then should I nix turbo idea? It was mentioned there is A LOT of room in the engine bay once you get around the shock towers so it wouldnt be that hard.

I love the idea of a turbo. The fuel economy when you baby it, but go WOT and look out with what boost can do. And the idea that you can easily adjust your boost depending on conditions such as daily driving or weekend playtime.

But if a stroker kit is done, decent cam, good heads, and good intake ( I already have that Victor Jr. Thanks) on a 351w there is lots of power potential already.

Hmmmm decisions, decisions

20. 91turboterror

There’s choices on stokers 383,393and 408. Off boost performance would be better with a stroker. The more cubes usually mean larger turbo, larger fuel requirements,more cam,etc now is the time to do it then buy things twice.