1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Building an Air/Water Setup, Questions

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by wtfovr, Jun 8, 2014.

1. wtfovr

I am looking for some suggestions on the 'water' side of my air/water intercooler setup. The intercooler is being built, two cores with manifolds on each end and a union in the middle for the drains. So far, a -12an in on each side and two -12an drains for return water.

Here it is in the beginning stages.
    [​IMG]#ad

My concern is, water tank(s), water pump(s) and line size.

The car can do without the spare tire so I can fill the well with a tank if I want or I can run a smaller tank up front. It is a convertible SN95 so I am limited on trunk space.

Will running a single -12an line from back to front and splitting it, same with the return, work?

Factory Cobra pump or two or go sump pump in a tank in the trunk?

Heat exchanger? I am looking at either one set infront of the radiator but still want to run A/C. Like this (not mine)
    [​IMG]#ad

Or put a long one in the rear behind the gas tank (Behind Bars Race Cars 18gl tank) with a couple of fans?

The car is a 99% street car but not daily driven. Just a fun cruiser.

2. TwinTrouble

Run the biggest lines you can. We run 1" heater hose, it's cheap at grainger.

Also, run a rule 2000 pump. Don't mess with the cobra pumps.

As for the heat exchanger, the jury is still out. I have one but need to do more testing to determine its effectiveness.

I run (if I recall correctly) an 8 gal tank in my spare tire well. The lines and IC hold another 5 gallons or so.

Thanks
    Shaun

3. wtfovr

Thanks Shaun. I think using some 1" heater hose will be a lot cheaper than -16an stuff. Still gonna have to "Y" it off into two -12an both coming and going. Luckily, I have a bunch of Earl's Anotuff hose ends left over.

13gls of water in the tank, lines and cooler is a lot but I guess the more the better to disperse the heat.

I already have the cooler being built with inlet/outlet water temp sensors and figure I can put one in the rear water tank also. Nice thing about the Holley Dominator, as long as you have the sensor and wire, might as well make it an input to look at.

4. wtfovr

Done.

Sexy welds
    [​IMG]#ad

Sure hope this thing fits
    [​IMG]#ad

The discharge air to T/B will have to be cut open and finally fabricated once the cooler is mounted. There is just no room for error.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

5. sarg

Really looking forward to progress on this. Very cool. I run a smallish exchanger up front that is basically the size of a front mount. Has worked well for me, but I do not have a monster water tank either. My spare tire well is holding my fuel cell. I had to squeeze in a smaller 1.5 gallon tank. But I will be upgrading to a larger custom tank soon.

6. ng8264723

Nice setup. What is that in? It looks like a fox body?
    I went with a cheap ebay a/w IC it seems to work well but I have other issues.............