1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

building a safe 500-600whp 4v

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by Suo, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Suo

Hi all,

Would you please give me some information on what needs to be done to a 4v(Mark VIII) to achieve safe 5-600 rwhp?

From the research I know that rods will need to get changed.
    What do you guys think about Manley 14042-8? Or Eagle 5933F3D? or SCAT 6593346A?
    Witch ones would you choose?
    Sure head gasket's and studs wouldn't stay stock.

What are the other things that would need to be done to get that engine to hold that power?
    In the thread of hp/tq I see that a lot of you guys have changed the valve springs - is that necessary for this point of power?

One more question: Does anyone sell a plug-and-play MS for a 4v?

Thank you for being kind to answer these questions.

2. stack

Well if its a Mark 32v then its a great starting point with the Teksid block...

I know a few guys that have around that on stock internals but you said safe so:

I would go with manley stuff... good choice as far as I am concerned

You never mentioned whether you were going boosted? I am assume you are being that you want 5-600 so vortech, pro charger or novi or roots? There is no bolt on kit, you will have to fab some stuff up to get it to work

Is that going to be at the wheels?

What about a trans?

Rear end?

What chassis is this 32v in? The Mark VIII ? what year Mark motor is it?

As for valve springs unless you plan on winding high I wouldn't worry too much. but I would take a look at the tensioners on the timing chain... The can start to make noise... No bueno

Fueling?

I've been through this and am currently going through it again so... yeah

3. Suo

thanks stack.

I'm going single turbo.(not vortech) I meant 5 to 600 whp.
    I'll give a try for a T-56
    SN95 mustang's Rear end.
    Fox body chassis.
    I would actually want to run high revs(8K RPM) so valve springs should be a concern. Witch ones to choose?

I'm gonna try regular as for the begging, but maybe switch to E85 later.

What about MS? do they come as plug and play's for 4.6's?

Thanks again :2thumbs:

4. blown99

Should be no reason to spin it that high to make 5-600rwhp. I prefer manly pistons and rods, cobra crank, MMR oil pump, head studs, oem headgaskets. If you want to spin it that fast then - main stud kit, valve springs, billet timing wheel.

5. jdl2z

To spin it that high your going to need to build the bottom end and the top end with big cams, short runner intake, and a large exhaust a/r. Big stuff 3 or FAST would be a good choice as far as the EMS, but theyre not exactly "plug and play". Your going to need a huge fuel system also. As far as the valvesprings go with something custom, or the biggest ones they offer off the shelf

6. Suo

what's the safe Rev's to spin it to?
    Blown99 - is crank change a mandatory thing?
    Thank you for your answers guys ;)

7. blown99

The lincoln cranks were cast not forged so at 8000 rpm a forged crank is mandatory. You could probably get away with the 5-600rwhp with a cast crank at 6200rpm.

8. Suo

so when leaving stock revs the crank would be fine?
    What about the pistons with stock RPM's?

9. jmstekguy

stick with the stock teksid block, spend the money on the arp hardware (mains, &headstuds), buy a complete rotating assembly for crank, rods, pistons, bearings, file to fit rings from a reputable place (mmr/eagle/dss comes to mind with there entry to mid level versions, but always better to have some safety factor) have them balance it as well to make assembly easier... new timing chains, tensioners, guides/arms, valve springs with your choice of cam (stock or aftermarket), felpro or oem mls headgasket will be fine in this application. dont forget a billet geared oilpump... a few extra options would be s/s valves and bronze guides for the heads, to build it for 1000-1200hp its only a 3-500.00 hundred more...better now than later

hope this helps

10. blown99

Pistons absolutely need to be upgraded. You could get away with the cast crank at that power level at 6200rpm. It would be wise though to upgrade to the cobra crank and not have to worry. Like jmstekguy stated, cheaper to do it now than later.

11. Suo

Thank you all for your answers, you've been very helpfull ;)

12. Suo

So yesterday I got myself a 4.6 4v 1993 out of a Mark VIII Lets build it up :2thumbs: :chacha:

13. Suo

One more question I've found some 52 size injectors. Would they do with the power that I'm looking for if running on pump gas?? Would injectors from 302/351w fit 4.6 4v?
    P.S question about rods - When I'm looking to get some in the application tab it states taht it's ok for 2v's, would the same rods be fine with 4v's if not where can I find some for my Mark's engine?
    thanks again

14. 99TTGT

I will use 60's cuz tunners are more familiar with them.
    They will <302/351w>but you may need adapters depending on what engine harness you are ussing for your 4 valve setup.
    I will use a H beam rods with ARP 2000 hardware .MMR got good deal on rods.!

ps# this may help
    https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=128349.0

15. Suo

16. assasinator

THE FIRST THING YOU NEED TO DO IS REPLACE THE STOCK SPRINGS WITH BEEHIVES.
    it is unnecessary to spin it past 6k for even more power. the stock crank can handle that power, but not above 6200. get some good rods and pistons, balance it and boost it. stock everything else is good enough for more power than 600rwhp. even the stock manifolds are ok and a 2.5 cross over to 3" up-pipe.

all stock fasteners and gaskets for good for more than 600rwhp. you only need rods, pistons and balancing. 8740 arp rods bolts are more than good enough for 600rwhp.

i ran the stock crank, manley h-beams and mahle pistons for two years at 500rwhp. 6900rpm shifts.

i will say i just redid the whole thing for big power.so i wish i had built it for 1khp the first time.

17. Suo

As this is my thread so I will trash it up with questions that I couldn't find answers in search.

I've got a Holset H1E I'm just a bit scared of the 22cm turbine and spooling time. What do you guys think when would I get the kick??
    (I did do the search, but I just couldn't find an answer related to 4.6 I've found spools for 302 and even there there are 2 types off opinions, one say that it's too big and some say that it's OK)

18. teflonadomis

Hey nice build, I just noticed that the question about using the holset for your combo was asked almost a month ago.

I just have to say I think its lame that many experts wont comment on turbo sizing questions, (on a turbo forum), like your a moron for asking.

I have trouble understanding all the advise given on beefing up the bottom end when this stuff seems much less of a mystery because it is universal for all forms of big power production, besides the C/R and cam choice (generally speaking).

Sorry to whine, I know once you are around these turbo's as much as many of you are that it has to get sounding old, but, this is where us newbies need sound advise.

These questions may sound old and answered before but even pounding the hell out of the search engine doesn't hold a candle to direct answer from someone who has been there.

Thanks to all that have made this site what it is.

19. stack

Rotatiing Assembly, Leave the heads alone, better cobra intake ( I have one if you are interested) And boost that SOB

20. huffer

ease up there....