1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Building a oil box, for rearmount turbo

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by FEAR ONE, Apr 26, 2007.

1. FEAR ONE

I have a 03 GT and was doing a single t4 t60 rear mount setup and I was wondering if I instal the turbo on one side where the muffler was and instal a box of some sort that can be filled with oil, on it would be two fitting one for feed and one for return. Would this work, if not then why. Would it be beter to have some nice cool oil a couple of feet away from the turbo.

2. TT_05_Stang

1. how is it going to be pressurized
    2. low volume will heat up quickly, would think a cooler would be needed, or at least 2-3 quarts of oil.
    3. how are you going to filter the oil?

Just a few off the top of my head...

Will

3. Explorer5.0

It is not that hard to run oil lines to a remote turbo. Just go buy a 1/4" NPT "T" and put it on your oil pressure sender, then a NPT to AN adapter, then a run of nitrous hose to the turbo. Then out of the turbo into a high temp pump, and pump it back to the valve cover.

t.jpg #ad

4. FEAR ONE

I would have to find away to instal a filter, I think that the oil would be colder in the first place with the turbo being a rearmount where one of the mufflers are, is that a bad thing? Also is the oil mainly used to cool or to lube the turbo. I did not know that turbos relied on preasure to cerculate oil, I thought that they sucked it up. And where is the oil drain and inlet on turbos, which one is on top and or they all the same. If turbos relie on preasure then my idea would not work without a pump.

5. Explorer5.0

Turbos need pressurized hot oil to work correctly. If you feed them cold oil they will lag terribly. I do not run a filter inline, but it is cheap insurance. The oil lubes and keeps the bearings/shaft cool- but cool for a turbo is still piss hot.

6. FEAR ONE

thanks for the the info