1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Which Turbo for 1,400 HP?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 365Saleen, Apr 29, 2022.

1. 365Saleen

I am a supercharger guy. Have been for years. I have a S/C SBF making about 1,250 HP at 20 psi of boost from a "small" 2.8L Kenne Bell S/C on E85
    Last night I had a dream that I switched to a Turbo and a blow through carb. So this got me thinking about what is really involved in switching to a Turbo deal.
    I know NOTHING about Turbos other than the basics, even though my DD is a tubo econobox.
    The current S/C set up is maxed out. It can not make more boost than what it does currently. I am overspining it as it is. The cost to go with a bigger K/B is pretty high considering the custom inlet/outlet manifolds are specific to the current S/C.
    So that got me thinking that if it cost $3-5K for a bigger K/B- S/C and $3-5K for the inlet/outlet manifolds, I could probably do a Turbo deal for the same money. Not looking for 35 psi, but an extra 5-8 psi over the 20 psi I have now would be great, considering the engine makes over 30 HP per lb of boost.
    This is a drag race only deal, not worried about "street" in any form at all.
    What is a good starting point? Is a blow through carb the hot ticket, or stay EFI like my current combo? I was thinking that with a blow through set up I can ditch the custom air/water system that I have now.
    What say you?
    Thanks for indulging this mental exercise.

2. bbi_turbos

Well go with 28psi, which is 2.9 pressure ratio (pr), 1400hp will need ~155lbs/min of airflow. I think you could squeeze by with the 91mm gt55, now for turbine side.

I'll assume 1700° egts, 155lbs/min compressor flow corrects to ~105lbs/min exhaust flow. Aiming for an ideal 30% wastegated, that leaves us with 73.5lbs/min that will need to pass through the turbine stage.

The 2.9pr rise done through the compressor will require a 2.0pr drop in the turbine. So you need to find a housing that flows 73.5lbs/min at 2.0pr. The 1.4a/r housing on the gt55 is just under it at around 68lbs/min. There is a 1.6a/r vband housing available that would probably work perfect. The 1.4 would work at the cost of higher drive pressure.

The other option is to go to twins. Pressures all stay the same, the flows cut in half. So each compressor needs to do (155÷2=) 77lbs/min at 2.9.
    Turbine needs to do (73.5÷2=) 34lbs/min at 2.0
    I already know the gt42 is half the size of the gt55. The gtx4294 will do the compressor flow pretty efficiently (78%), and the 1.01a/r housing is plenty big enough.

Hope this helps.

3. 365Saleen

I have no idea what any of that means.
    Lol

KEVINS likes this.
  4. bbi_turbos

I know, it's a way I keep track of the numbers as I do them.

For a single a 91mm gtx5533 with atleast the 1.4 a/r housing, 1.6 ideally.
    Or go twins, gt4294r with 1.01a/r housing on each exhaust manifold.

5. silver82GT

Off topic but where did get the manifold for the Kenne Bell blower? I have always wanted to put one on a SBF but have never heard of anyone doing it. KB won't even talk about it.

6. Pro-SC

7. silver82GT

Thanks, I knew about that kit but the OP has 2.8L and I don't think that is available with the TPS kit. If I was going to do it I would want to use a 3.6 or 4.2.

8. Pro-SC

Oh I missed that it was a 2.8 .

9. 365Saleen

I have a custom set up. I run a TFS R lower with a Reichard Racing box upper that has a air/water I/C inside it. Then a custom inlet and outlet manifold to fit the 2.8LQ S/C to that.
    No, it does not fit under a stock hood...
    Engine is a 365 cid (4.135 X 3.4) Dart block, AFR 220 headed solid roller cam monster.

10. silver82GT

Thanks for the info.