1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Build up questions... BBC Single Turbo draw thru set up

Discussion in 'Turbocharged Boat and Watercraft Forum' started by SangerDude, Jun 5, 2008.

1. SangerDude

I posted this in the Noob dept. and I think I will get better results parking this build and the questions here.

I have a LS-6 out of my 80 Sanger Mini Day Cruiser...I need to rebuild it due to: 1. it needs it, and 2. it ran at almost 13 to 1 comp and did not like anything less than 104 oct !!!$$$$ I would love to run on pump gas all day long but still have power to play, so I want to go turbo. My questions are:

1. What would be a good rotating assembly for a turbo motor. I assume all forged?
    2. I would like a draw thru system carbureted....with a single turbo, I was told t6 flange?
    3. Since there is an abundance of cold lake water at my disposal, shouldnt I run an oil and water cooled turbo?
    4. I really want/need ideas on an air/water intercooler setup as well...again, plenty of cold water to be had.
    5. What would be an "ideal" comp. ratio to shoot for? I would like 600+ HP.
    6. This boat does have a covered engine with exhaust dumping in the lower section of the V bottom on the transom.
    7. Does jet coating really NOT work for turbo exhausts?

I am sure that I will have more questions as I get into this as this is only in its infancy right now....just getting ideas and recruiting help. I have never gone the turbo'ed route but have always been fascinated with them....

Thanks,

Bill

2. vader_turbo

-----edit----
    I answered my own question :doh:

3. turbojunkie50

Bill,
    This is what you need right here.

http://www.performanceboats.com/html/forums/showthread.php?t=11059

Compact,easily make your hp needs,intercooled,mostly bolt on stuff.The single turbo deal would
    be a piping nightmare because all the piping would have to be custom made.

I'd recommend some good h-beam rods,and some turbo pistons around 8 to 1,
    and some good exhaust valves.You may be ok with the parts you have but i gaurantee
    you'll want as much hp as you can get out of your engine.

4. SangerDude

Well, all I really need is the intercooler, and the exhaust manifold logs....the rest can be fabbed and modded to fit my needs...but again, finding these separate is a beeotch!

5. Mark55

I would advise against a draw through system. If you like carbs go with a blow through so you don't have to run your A/F mixture through the intercooler. I know lots of guys do it but it is so the wrong way to go.

Jet hot coating is for looks only and is not going to stop any radiant heat.