1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Buick Grand National Turbochager

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 83 Turbostang, Dec 13, 2003.

1. 83 Turbostang

:hammer:
    Hi, everybody im a newbie to this forum if you dont already know.
    Any way on to the question I was wondering if anybody knew what size the Grand National turbo is? I would like to put 2 of these on a 351W. Are those turbos too big? I have looked every where to try and find the size that they are but none of their web site's have any info on the stock turbo size.
    Thanks for the help

2. dman

2 of those would work perfectly. they can support about 400hp per turbo..

do a search, i'm sure this subject has been covered.

3. PEARL MUSSIN

The GN turbo is kinda of like a T3/T4 Hybrid... They are good turbos and can be had fairly cheap. Look on buick G/N sites for them.. Turbostangman had them on his car for a while I think...

Jeremy

4. 240power

Only thing I don't like about running GN turbos is they use a 3-bolt housing so if you ever want to go bigger you'd have to change your flanges or keep the same 3-bolt housing, which doesn't flow as good as the 4-bolt housings.

5. dman

the 3 bolt housings don't flow as much as 4 bolt but there are quite a few 9 second turbo regals running single 3 bolt turbos!! so i'm sure when your ready to upgrade you can plop on some TE44's (575hp each), which can be bought on turbobuick.com used all day for 400-500 bucks, and make well over 1000hp.

6. cp5899

I am running two gn turbos on my 351 lightning and they spool very fast. I haven't been able to go WOT yet because of not having enough fuel system, but I have gone about 1/2 throttle under a load and the turbos hit 15 psi by 3000 rpms....thats when I let out...LOL They should be able to make some serious hp with the 351 and the good thing is bought mine for $150 bucks a peice. I can't remember the guys screen name (he is on this site) but I think that he has gone 10.0's or some where very close to that with these turbos.

Good luck!!

Craig

7. 83 Turbostang

Buick Grand National turbocharger

Does anyone know if the 79-83 turbochagers would work, I know that the 79-83 turbochager's are a little different from the later years but I dont know how different. I would also like to know if the cam I have bought is big enough for my application. The specs are at .050 lift
    lobe sep. 110.2
    Intake Lift .512
    Duration 230
    Centerline 106 ATDC
    Exhaust lift .512
    Duration 230
    Centerline 114 BTDC
    Thanks for all the help

8. dman

i don't think the pre-86 turbos are all that great.. but i'm not sure.

as for your cam,,, i'm not sure either ;)

9. kazlx

I bought the setup from Turbostangman using the 2 GN turbos

10. 1slow86stangGT

i have two GN turbos. im reaching full boost at 3,000 rpms. or less. i am having ignition problems that i am chasing right now. but they are good turbos to use and fairly cheap like stated above. i got one for $100 shipped to me. i would stay away from the older ones. if i am not mistaken which i could be. i believe they have a smaller compressor side. there are plenty of 86-87 turbos out there just take your time to find them. and your cam. looks like a supercharger cam. but it should work. yours is bigger than mine. good luck with it.

dave ross

11. fuelish

the cam you have looks almost just like mine a lunati bracket cam 512 lift with 230 degrees @.050 with a 110 lobe seperation wich is on an n/a 302 with world product heads. which is a decent n/a cam but for a turbo car i think you want a wider lobe seperation like 114 and a little more lift and duration on the exhaust side.

on another n/a note you only want a split lift/duration cam(different duration and lift for intake and exhaust) if your exhaust flows 70% of your intake flow or less, or if you have any stock ford heads, i don't think gt40 heads flow that well either on exhaust side, i could be wrong though.

12. t76boostd

Re: Buick Grand National turbocharger

I had an 85 t-type and the turbo's on them have a smaller turbine housing than the 86'-87'. they are only good and effecient to about17psi before they choke(turbineside) and build up to much heat. Stick with the 86-87 turbos you can make more power with them!