1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Budget Turbo 460, is there such a thing?

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by RottenRon, May 18, 2013.

1. RottenRon

G'day guys.

I've got a mild 65 Ford F350 custom that I play with.

I've pulled the mild 351 Cleveland and planning a 460 BB turbo build.

In the event I can find a good deal, it may happen that a small stoker kit is used, say around 500 cubes, cast crank, forged rods, flat top or dished hyperutetic pistons. Will keep compression to about 9:1 with cast heads or 9.5:1 with alloys.
    I will probably use stock type heads, but considering the weight savings and benefits of alloy heads, I'll keep my eyes open for a pair with medium sized runners.
    I don't want to go too crazy with the cam, preferring to stay with a mild hydraulic grind that and will keep revs below 5,800 rpm in the interests of valve train stability and reliability.
    I'm leaning toward a big single turbo, mostly because I can avoid some steering clearance issues.
    Because of the mild cam and the big cubes, I'm guessing low down torque is not gunna be a problem so I'm thinking something that starts to make a bit of boost around 2,000rpm and use waste-gate/s to limit max boost.
    I have a 4 barrel throttle body and my old Wolf 3D for ignition and fuel control.
    No intercooler yet, but may use the 3D to control water/methanol injection if I can set it up.
    The truck will be converted to Auto, probably a built C6 unless I can find something stronger.
    Truck weighs a tad under 3 ton, about 5,800 lbs.
    Diff is a Dana 70 with pozitrac and 3.7 gears.

My questions are ; -

Is possible to get between 650 and 750 reliable crank HP from a basically stock rebuilt 460 BBF ?
    Is there a factory fitted truck type turbo worth considering?
    Any good suggestions on alternative turbos?

Please keep in mind I can't make sense of these turbo maps and would prefer someone who's got a good handle on them to make suggestions.
    A few different turbo suggestions would be good too, as that stuff is hard to source here in Australia too.

You thoughts, suggestions and ideas will be much appreciated.

Cheers, Ron.

By the way, you can check out the old girl (me truck that is, not me missus), at http://www.65efy.com .,,,,, Youtube search for "65 F350 at Lakeside" ,,,,,,, or just Google image search for 65 F350, , you'll find it.

2. brownhj

Gidday Ron, nice truck. I checked out your site. I'm down in Vic and planning a single turbo setup for my 454, so am interested in the suggestions for yours. Anyway, happy planning!
    Paul

3. stangman9897

Another brother from down under , welcome we have some great Aussie's on here.

4. RottenRon

Thanks ol mate.

Could end up being about a 12 month process, but I'll be gathering info.,,, and parts as opportunities present themselves.

I'll attempt to keep this thread up to date.

Cheers, Ron.

PS,,, love the avatar by the way,,, Your missus??,,,lol

5. RottenRon

No worries Paul.

This won't be a quick build as I don't have the space to do it just yet. All my stuff is still in Qld. and I'm shacked up in a cabin in a van park in Rockbank for 12 mths or so.
    That's not to say that I can't ship stuff back home if needed, as I have a son up there who can take delivery and stick gear in my shed.
    I've come down here to take up a pretty sweet job, otherwise, you could stick this cold weather where the sun don't shine,,,, god dam it's cold here,,, lol.
    Anyway, I'll update the thread from time to time.
    Cheers, Ron
    PS, if can suggest any good swap meets etc. I'd be interested.

6. Turbo-Box

7. brownhj

Rockbank in Melb's west? Ha ha, u would be feeling the cold mate. Bit different here in Vic than up north.

8. stangman9897

PS,,, love the avatar by the way,,, Your missus??,,,lol

Hell i wish, i think i wish. lol

9. RottenRon

Sweet. Sound just about what I'm looking for, only one problem. He hasn't included and turbo specs.

Given that my old truck weighs in at about 3 ton, judging by his slips, I reckon the old girl will go about 13s flat with a similar setup.

I fully expect though, that since I'm prepared to chuck a pair of better breathing alloys on a similar short block, I might make the grunt needed to get her down to mid 12s and that would be way cool for my old Efy.

Very interesting. Thanks for the tip/link.

Cheers, Ron.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  10. Turbo-Box

He is local to me and I've seen the car in person. They are stock Buick Grand National turbos. T3's