1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

"Bucket List" progress Update;

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by JohnSpo1, Jul 25, 2021.

1. JohnSpo1

Hi Guys, I've had a few more physical setbacks but am back at it now with the help of a local youth wanting to learn about working on cars. Major changes, I replaced the AFR 210 heads with a set of custom built AFR 220 heads. Between the larger chambers and a .040 MLS gasket my calculated compression is down below 9. This should make the engine more boost friendly and between that, the intercooler and the meth injection I'm confident that we can get this up to the target of 1000 rwhp. I'm currently working on plumbing the oil feed and returns while Aiden is crawling under the dash to get the new clutch pedal setup installed and adjusted. The new clutch setup should reduce pedal pressure significantly while making it more tolerable for my 1/2 foot. Heck, maybe the wife will even drive it now. One thing I am unhappy with and will be changing this week are the headers. One side sits higher and more forward than the other and it is irritating me. I'm looking at a set of Flowtech's, does anyone have experience with them? As always comments and questions are welcome.
    View attachment 785205 #ad
    View attachment 785206 #ad
    View attachment 785207 #ad

20210724_191552.jpg #ad

20210724_191524.jpg #ad

20210724_191616.jpg #ad

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    flyinhillbilly likes this.
  2. B E N

Flowtech reputation isn't great for longevity. If you support the turbos properly I bet they will hold up just fine.

Nice job bringing a young person in, it will be great for him to get the exposure!

3. vht

The experience I had with Flowtech wasn't good, it wasn't a turbo build but they were very cheap made and didn't impress me at all. Am I missing the rest of the build? What's all this going in, so far looks really good!

4. JohnSpo1

BEN, I'm pretty sure he is helping me more than I am helping him.
    Speaking of bracing the turbos, I've been thinking about that. Seems that any bracing would need to be mounted to the engine. Are there any specific rules? Do braces need to be mounted to the turbos, or can tabs be welded onto other close pipes (Near the flange) and routed to the engine block?

5. JohnSpo1

VHT, I started this on what needed to be a 6-9 month project. I'm holding up better than anticipated but we do not know how long it will last. You can search my other posts to get the background on this project. Thanks.
    BTW, if Flowtech is not a great choice what would be better as far as headers go?

6. Pro-SC

Those headers get good reviews on yellow bullet, some say that they are the best off shore manifold on the market. I have not tried them but if my cg fab headers cause me any grief, I will try a set of these for sbf.

7. B E N

Looks like your turbo sits a bit away from the block, but it isn't really an issue. A quick and dirty option would be to pick up some 3/8 steel rod and run tabs somewhere on the accessory drive, run one rod up from near the oil pan, and another from a head bolt, or wherever and a cross between the two of them to triangulate. That will get the weight dealt with. I wouldn't want those turbos dangling that far away on a schedule 10 manifold, let alone a 14 gauge tube manifold.

The best way you could tie into the turbo is off the center section, it would be the easiest to hide there but you aren't limited to that. You could weld a tab onto either housing and use it, weld a plate to the vband on your downpipe and use that. If you get too far from the center line of the turbo you may want to consider a third beam on your support to handle the side load.

This may sound grim, but if I was in your position I would stick it in the car, support or no and let it rip. If you are on numbered days and driving the car is the goal, get it loaded up, get it close to road worthy, make sure you have roadside and go. If you are skirting the legality a little bit who gives a shit, you might not make it to the court date. Make every day count, stop worrying about the minutia, the car will drive fine with some hack work and Chinese parts in the engine bay. You can always come back and worry about the pedantic details later on if there is time, get driving, worry about failures IF they happen.

8. Disney Lincoln

How you doing on this?

9. vht

We need more info!!!! Pics of the car or anything else you want to take a pic of.:bounce:

10. Russell

He has not signed on for a while, hope he is doing well.

11. Disney Lincoln

Yeah, that's my concern as well. I remember early on in this build I was like, just put a turbo on it and go! I was worried he wouldn't be able to see this through and his absence concerns me. He aint terribly far away from me, maybe I can go help button it up!

underpsi68 and nxcoupe like this.