1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

can a gen 7 be run without a o2 sensor?

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by 10seclx, Apr 22, 2010.

1. 10seclx

as the title says, is it possible to run a gen 7 without an o2 sensor hooked up to it?? the reason I ask is we have my motor on the dyno now and have the dyno's WB hooked to it and don't wanna be modifying my DP to add a second o2 that will never be used again, so I thought of just leaving the o2 unhooked and would have to monitor the A/f off of the dyno insted of from calmap. Thanks in advance!

2. TurboNova

Yes, to your answer your question. You run the Gen 7 in open loop instead of closed loop.
    But why wouldn't you use your O2 sensor instead of the dynos since that is what you are going to use with your ECU? You can easily datalog just as well with the Gen 7 as the dyno. If you don't then you will not be able to overlay the info on your VE table. You also can feed the Gen 7 the 0-5 v signal off the wideband so they both can have a wideband signal.

3. 10seclx

yeah I thought about that, but the dyno I am using I don't know if it will work or not without its wb, I will have to double check it again tommorow when I am there, have a few little things I still need to do to make it work on the dyno. Thanks for the quick reply.

4. TurboNova

Dynos do not need their widebands hooked up to work. You will not be able to see your A/F on the dyno graph but that is what the Gen 7 datalogger is for.

5. 10seclx

on this dyno the printout includes the a/f ratio as well as ve and airflow so its o2 needs to be hooked up. but I will just bite the bullet and put a second bung in my dp and plug it off after.

6. TurboNova

The Dyno does not need a 02 to give you horsepower and torque. It only needs RPMs for the Dyno to graph horsepower and torque.
    All the other info you are talking about should be logged from the Gen 7 since that is where you will be tuning from.

7. littlebluefoxbody

X2 The engine NEEDS this info not the dyno!

8. 10secgoal

Weld in a second bung ? :hmm:

9. Craig Smith

Screw the dyno O2. It's for a piece of paper. The Gen 7 O2 sensor is for your engine.

10. mtpturbo

X2

11. 86lxnotch

if its the narrowband then who really cares, it doesnt do much besides correction if its turned on

12. TurboNova

If it is a narrowband for the Gen 7 it does really nothing outside 14.7:1 so it is worthless for tuning.

13. 86lxnotch

thats what i meant its only good for minor correction at cruise. other than that its useless. i still gotta get around to tying my wideband into my dfi cause i just have the narrowband in it now