1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

BS3: TFI, factory cluster and Ford IAC ?'s

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by sy733, Feb 21, 2008.

1. sy733

I just ordered a new BS3 base system with the universal harness and single o2 sensor for a 1990 mustang GT. The online instructions at the BS3 site say "'¢ Ford and GM IAC control." All the searching I've been doing point me to having to use a GM IAC with the ford to gm adapter. I don't find any info on wiring the ford IAC to work with the BS3. I would rather use the Ford IAC since it's new and already installed on the car. Can this be done? I can handle wiring mods if that's all it takes to get this to work.

Also, what about wiring up the BS3 universal engine harness to plug into the factory TFI module? Do I really have to buy the TFI adapter harness from PT&E or is this another thing that the average person can pin up using an old or new ford TFI plug and the basic diagram on the online instructions?

Last question. I would like to retain my factory gauges, bells and whistles while using the BS3 universal and injection harness without going with an expensive plug and play setup. How is this pulled off? Is it as simple as leaving the stock computer plugged in and unpinning and deleting the engine related stock wiring that will no longer be used?

thanks in advance for any advice you guys might have and sorry if I sound like such a BS3 newb. I have searched my ass off on multiple sites (especially here) with little luck and I just don't have this setup in my hands yet to see what the heck I'm dealing with. :stupid:

2. underpsi68

I am right in the middle of doing what you are looking to do on my 90 Mustang but I'm using another system than the BS3. I can't answer the IAC question for you but I don't believe the Ford IAC works with the BS????

I just got another TFI plug/wires from a donor car (so I didn't have to cut my stock harness) and am wiring my S/A ECU harness to the TFI plug. My S/A harness does not have any plugs/clips on the harness, only wires that you hook up. Again not 100% sure how the BS3 harness is, if there is a dist harness already installed??

I removed the EEC harness completely from my car. I wired all the gauges to the factory sensors (since a lot of the wires were removed when I took the harnessout). The coolant temp, oil pressure and tach all need to be hooked back up to the dash cluster if you remove the EEC harness. Basically you just need to run one wire from each sensor to the dash cluster/harness.

3. sy733

Well it says it works. I've read the instructions, but some of my online searches for real world experiences seem to contradict certain aspects of the BS3 instructions. But then again, You can't exactly believe everything you read on the internet so these experiences I'm reading may be wrong. :ahah:

That's what I want to know if I can do with the BS3. Seems easy enough if it'll work. The BS3 harness comes with an HEI connection that says is designed to work with GM corvette distributor. Then it says to contact your BS3 dealer for further details. My BS3 dealer told me to buy a 100.00 harness adapter to make this work. That's not the kind of answer I was looking for to tell you the truth.

Sounds good to me but are you sure this is a reliable and long term option? Not knocking your idea, but is this what most people are doing? Thanks for taking the time to respond :2thumbs:

Here are a couple screen shots of the BS3 online instructions.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

4. underpsi68

Long term shouldn't be a problem at all. The tach gets wired to the ignition box, coolant temp gauge gets one wire to the coolant temp sensor, (changes resistance with temp change) and one wire to the oil pressure gauge (resistor that changes with oil pressure). If you need the schematic for the dash let me know. I can send it to you through an email. Also if you are going to remove the EEC harness, the air bag system is wired in there also. I just removed my air bag setup so I am not worried about that, although you could rewire it the same way.