1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

GEN 7 issues....

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by BOOSTEDROK, Jan 1, 2013.

1. BOOSTEDROK

Went to start my Camaro yesterday, and the battery seemed low. Hooked up the charger, tried again, NADA. sounded hydra locked. So I pulled a plug, and It was full of fuel. So I pulled all the plugs, and all 8 cyl were full of fuel. Cycled it a few times by hand to flush all the fuel out. Hit the key, fuel pump turned on, but didn't turn off.( Supposed to stay on for 6 sec only). Checked the cylinders, FULL of fuel AGAIN.... Then I checked the injectors with a noir light, n they were staying open, as long as I kept the key on. Anyone have any advice or some C4 I can borrow?

2. TurboNova

Has it run right before? The ECU triggers the injectors to ground so hopefully you don't have a major short. If the battery was low? how low? didn't crank? When you charge the battery from a very low state it can... not always.. send a big voltage spike through the system and fry stuff. I will charge the battery up first instead of trying to start on any kind of boost start setting. There are only a few other things that can cause this, the ecu thinks it is seeing rpm from electrical noise even though it is not turning over or crap in the injectors holding them open... but you already said there is voltage present.

3. BOOSTEDROK

The car ran great just a couple weeks before. Parked in the garage, then this happens. When I turn the key on, the noid lights up. They shouldnt light until cranking correct?

4. TurboNova

You are correct. The Noid light should only light when the ecu sees RPM.

5. BOOSTEDROK

Brian,

I've been think bout switching to a completely new standalone, cause this is the 2nd time this Gen 7 has pulled this. Last time was 5 months ago, it was only running on 6 cyl. Crapped an injector drive. So my question to you is, what would you choose? And or, what do you think about the Holley?

6. TurboNova

Call me tomorrow
    cell 360-280-6112

7. my8950

Is this the same ecu that did this on the other engine? Did you send it in to be checked? If yes, what did they say or do? If no, why not.
    There is an issue with the injectors shorting to the heatsink inside them, this will cause what you are seeing.

8. BOOSTEDROK

Same ECU, 2nd mishap. The first time it crapped some injector drivers they fixed it, and charged me like 150 to fix it. Lasted like 7 months, now ECU has been shipped. Waiting for a response on the 2nd issue.

9. tom robison

I lost a 20,000 dollar stage 2 buick v6 due to a injector driver going bad in my gen7, I switched to a Holley Dominator and have never looked back, Best system on the market for the money.

10. BOOSTEDROK

Yeah, that's the plan so far. I wanna switch to the Holley. But I'm possibly considering the MS3X.

11. Turbo Fox

I was heavily considering picking up a new GEN VII unit up to put on my car. This thread is giving me some concerns about pulling the trigger. I'm actually tearing the car down right now to modify some things on my kit.

Any other good recommendations? 331" + GT4502r in 89 Lx.

12. Chuck L

I had 1 on my HEMI car....NOTHING but issues. Took it off, and threw it in the scrap.:swear:

13. CantFollowTheRules

sounds to me you might have some wiring issues... I've been installing, selling, and using Accel Gen.7's since they first came out in 2000 and found them very reliable if installed correctly. The only time I've seen injectors firing with engine off, key on is from RFI noise leaking into the IPU ignition curcuit. I've never seen solid on, when key on, but you said your battery voltage was very low, do oyu know what caused that condition?

14. BOOSTEDROK

Faulty ECU. Accel sent me a new 1. Have yet to install it though.

15. stroked&blown

I had the same thing happen to me a few years back...what a pain in the arse! Accel sent me a new ECU. Nothing like a little hydrolock to ruin your day. Thank god nothing got damaged.

16. BOOSTEDROK

Now for a update.

Installed new ECU, and I'm having troubles uploading a tune. Everything seems to load ok, but when I hit the key theirs nothing. Just the motor turning over.

17. BOOSTEDROK

Anyone know if I would have to update my software too.