1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

BS3 Max TPS and IAC Throttle Follower Setup on LS

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by TurboCamaro, Nov 28, 2009.

1. TurboCamaro

Am having difficulty getting the Warmup Idle and Throttle Follower to function correctly on an LS motor.
    BS3 manual says to set "Max TPS for Idle" in the Configuration Setup to 2%, adjust the throttle blade to where you want the motor to idle than adjust the TPS physically so that the TPS=% value in the dash is between 0.5% and 1%.

The motor has an Edelbrock Throttle Body with a Non Adjustable TPS. With the throttle blade completely closed the lowest TPS value is 5%. So I figure if BS says TPS @ 0.5 to 1 and you set the Min TPS at 2 should be able to set the Min TPS at just above the TPS value say 5.5 or 6. Doing this the Throttle Follower does not work and the warm up idle doesn't work. Same happens if the idle is set with the Blade and the Min TPS is set up the TPS=% value at whatever idle is.

However if you set the Min TPS to below what the TPS=% value the Throttle Follower seems to work but still can't get the warmup high idle working.

What is going on? And how are you supposed to set the TPS and IAC values in BS?

Note the motor is tuned well otherwise it makes good power and is very driveable other than the Throttle Follower and Warm UP.

2. DirtyBird

I have similar issues, so I would be interested to find out what you learn on this. I have had the best luck emailing BS directly, and usually get an answer in about 2-3 hours. I don't understand where the IAC gets its values from. You might try to add the DesIAC to your dash. Trouble is, no matter what values I input into the throttle follower table, the DesIAC does not match those values.....Also, apparently the ActIAC (dash) does not work for GM IAC sensors. I asked BS3 help on this and they said the DesIAC is the only function to pay attention to. Not sure if this helps......

3. yellowpony

I am not familiar with the ls based motors, but if there is any way to enlarge the holes that the screws go through to hold the tps down, do that you should be able to get the value that you need.

Doesn't the bs3 use the idle speed vs coolant temp for the iac values at idle? Once the throttle is depressed the throttle follower takes over for the iac values at part throttle driving. I beleive the xfi and bs3 both use the same basic principle, just use different descriptions for the tables. Hope this helped some.

Anthony

4. TurboCamaro

HI DirtyBird
    I would have thought that BS would reply however Meaney seems to have no desire to support. I sent him the problems I was having before SEMA as the car was on its way to Vegas would have thought it would be best for all to ensure the car worked well for the show. Ended up cranking the blade up to ensure it wouldn't stumble on move in and move out.

yellowpony
    Yes, you are correct that BS drives idle speed vs coolant temp for the iac values however if the IAC vs TPS isn't set correctly then this doesn't function, ie. one of the challenges I have

5. DirtyBird

I can only offer to be persistant with BigStuff I have not had an issue with emailing, another friend of mine has had luck calling direct. I figure, if I spent 2Gs on a system, I better get the answers I need cause the help files can use a little work in some areas.

6. TurboNova

Max TPS for idle needs to be set above your idle TPS setting no matter what it is. If the car idles with a tps of 5% then you need at least 6% and sometimes more depending on the application.

This Max TPS setting tells the ECU that the car is in "idle mode" if it goes above this then it will look at non idle parameters.

The IAC vs TPS setting is where you set the IAC opening position biased on TPS. So at low or closed throttle settings you will need a bigger IAC value than you would have say at 50% throttle. The idea is to have the IAC catch the throttle when you lift suddenly. You can also set the IAC to a bigger or smaller value to raise or lower the idle setting.

The key for cold start is not to have the IAC set all the way open or closed so it can raise the idle by opening when cold and closing more when warm.

Have you tried to set the IAC values higher? If you have tried to set the TPS% above where your lowest setting was like 6% then did you go back and see what your actual IAC position was? Try much larger values in the lower TPS settings.

Bbc588 likes this.