1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Acell Thruster. Where to mount Computer??

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by Forced5, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Forced5

I have a 91 mustang that will have a the set-up within my sig.. I am in the process of running the wires for the EFI system, but I wanted to get some Ideas of where others are mounting their computers.. I already have intercooler piping running along the Passenger side floor and it does not seem to want to sit in the factory plastic ECU holder in the kick panel, plus I will have the wideband and datalogger to hook up to it as well.

If you have any pics of where yours are mounted, please post them up..

2. roozterdvx

make sure you keep it away from MSD wiring, especially wires going to the coil.

you could mount it on the trans tunnel, pass side, just below the console edge

3. Forced5

A thought!!! are there any rules about mounting the electronics to a peice of Stainless and figuring out how to mount it to the cage where the door bar and the A-pillar meet.

Are there any pros or cons to this.. I believe I have seen this done before, but what would be the best way to secure it to the cage...

4. conbread

i mounted my setup (bothboxes) under the passenger seat and it seemd to work out good..The wires seem to all still reach the motor good!!!

5. bags50lx

Do it SC style and bungee cord it in. Yes I have seen it done at a local track. A good way is like you mentioned on a seperate of metal attached to the cage.

6. Forced5

Cornbread: Under the seat will not work. I have the intercooler piping running thru there..

Bags.. Yeah, I know SC style..I do have some twine that I could tie it down with... Seriously, How would I attach it to the cage though??

7. roozterdvx

that's where I orig mounted mine...too close to passenger's feet for my liking
    I removed the plate and kick panel and mounted the dfi box to the sheet metal slightly higher up than where the eec would mount using vibration mounts

I had problems with the dfi picking up stray rf noise from the ignition box wiring...primarily the coil wires, blk and orang to the coil
    moved some wiring around. keeping everything seperate and running along good ground planes and no more troubles.

8. conbread

can you mount it behind the console or radio???

9. my8950

If you're doing that much fab work to the car, you should be able to mount it in the stock EEC location no problem. Mine is there, no mods at all, plastic fits back on top too....
    I think you could mount the logger on the outside so it can be removed quick too if need be.

10. Injected65

This is the plate that I made for my electronics. Its tied into the cage as well as the floor.

[​IMG]#ad

Chris

11. Forced5

With a little work and finding some vibration mounts, I am going to mount the thruster in the kick panel area... though I will try to use some flat weather stripping for the vibration mount and fasten it where the factory EEC was.... then mount the WB/O2 on the firewall behind the dash....

12. roozterdvx

Have you run this set-up yet?
    I had problems with my ignition box too close to my dfi. The dfi was picking up rf noise from the ignition and shutting down.
    I run shielded cables from the crank trigger and cam sync. I don't know if it was noise aroiund the boxes or the wiring being run so close together. I relocated the 7AL box and relocated the wiring for it and peoblem solved.

13. Injected65

I ran it several times at the end of last year with no problems. The DFI cam and crank wires are already shielded in the harness so I didn't do anything special out in the engine bay for those wires. The only thing I can guess is that the digital 7 box is likely a quieter box that the older AL series boxes.

Chris

14. Forced5

My DFI box is mounted in the kick panel while my digital 7 will be mounted on the rear seat delete... beside the intercooler...wires pass about 1 foot away from the DFI under the carpet..