1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

What are you Modular people using?

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by NoWhining, Sep 18, 2007.

1. NoWhining

Hey all, I am in the process of planning my build.

01 GT, 5 speed, forged shortblock with a mild to medium cam, and ported heads, maybe the new Logan intake if its prooves to be worth all the hype.

I have very minimal expertise with SCT from a Xcal 1, but when I went over to their forums all the thread kinda scared me off. Outside of their pro package, I know very little about what is available.

I am not sure that I want to tune the entire car myself, but would love to learn about tuning and at least make a based tune that will get the car to run and allow me to check over basic things before towing the car to a tuner for a day of tuning.

I looked over the tuning information and I wasn't sure which of those systems do and don't apply to the modular motors. Overall I know its basically the same, but I wasn't sure if there were any little things that would be an issue on a 4.6 like the distributorless setup etc etc.

Thanks

2. DonL

Well, I think at minimum you'd need an Xcal 2 or an X3 and a wideband. Once you have that, you can basically get it tuned 99% of the way correctly. With the Xcal and a laptop you can do basic datalogging of idle and part throttle - you tehn email the logs to the dealer who sold it to you (someone like me) and then the dealer emails you a new corrected tune. Once that is done, you hook the wideband up and interface it to the Xcal and do some WOT runs with it on the street - then email the dealer the logs and you get an updated file to use. This continues until it is correct or close or unless it's determined there is a mechanical issue like a pegged MAF or MAF reversion. We have been doing this for our customers for a few years now and it works out really well - we like to call it 'work equity' tuning, because for just the price of the Xcal and a little work on your part, you get the equivalent of a dynotune. Or if youdan't have a wideband, take it to a dyno and do some pulls getting A/F along with Xcal data - but turbo tuning is best either done or checked on the street anyway. You don't get numbers street tuning, you need an assistant, you risk getting a ticket and it takes a bit longer, but it saves $$$. We give explicit directions on how and what to log. If you ghave any questions, email me at
    This content is protected

3. NoWhining

Excelent information.

I know my Xcal 1 is way out dated, but I have been considering a new Xcal with the SCT pro package on a lap top that I could dedicate to the car.

Thanks for your help Don, if I go this path with when the project begins.

Was are the differenced between the X2 and the X3?

Thanks!

4. Chris Barnes

+1 for using Don! He's helped me tons with my twin 99. Can't beat him for customer service!

5. DonL

Thanks Chris! The X3 is the newest flasher they have - more memory, bigger screen. But the Xcal 2 does the job too - especially with the Pro Racer Package. Seems to be OK so far with very few bugs like some of their stuff. Same price as the Xcal 2 - but the Xcal 2 is virtually bug free and has been used successfully for years. Hate to SPAM but when I sell the PRP and Xcal 2 or X3 comb0, I supply for free my $49 training video that teaches you how to tune, step by step.
    Don