1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Divorced downpipe benefit?

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by mbruneaux, Feb 23, 2014.

1. mbruneaux

Sorry, big time noobie here. I see a lot of people running a divorced downpipe what is the benefit? I have a TD05 12A and on the exhaust side there is a block-off plate below the turbo exhaust port. They build custom downpipes opening the area with the backoff plate and merge the two together. I'm trying to squeeze everything I can out of this little turbo before I can upgrade the pistons to add a bigger turbo for more volume and boost. Thanks

2. SLAUGHTERHAUS FAB

I believe you are talking about an internal wastegate that has the option of being vented further down the exhaust system. This causes less turbulence at the exhaust outlet which can help to increase efficiency and decrease backpressure.

3. mbruneaux

Thank you very much, that makes sense. It seems like an easy modification, and since I need on a complete system I might as well attempt to build one. Thanks again.