1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

breaking-in new motor with or without turbo plumbed in?

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by fast.5.oh, Jan 29, 2009.

1. fast.5.oh

I hate my first post to be a question but i tried the search button already.. Question is should i be breaking my motor in without the turbo plumbed in for the first 1000 kms of its life or should i have my turbo hooked up and break it in with low boost??

Motor is a dart sportman block 358w. 8.5:1 compression. turbo is twin mp 70's. first time building a turbo car!! thanks for the help

ps iv been lurking this site for the past year without a user acount, thought id join the club.

2. mustangcobra438

if you want it to seal the rings proberly then break it in like your going to drive it. Seal and true the rings as fast as possible. Bring it up to opperating temp and then go for a drive giving it a few full throttle blasts so that the cylinder pressure can push the rings into the cylinder wall and true them, afterwards drain the oil and then drive it like you stole it, or how ever ou plan on driving it. i would personally use lower boost level for the ring sealing drive but afterwards... whatever.

3. 88foxbody

I agree with mustangcobra438

4. 1FastPickup

you might want to try just "break in" (with the quotes) in the search it has been covered before

This was recently - https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121149.0...as well as others

...it appears the consensus is pretty much what mustangcobra438 wrote....run the turbo...boost it a couple of times...change the oil...go to town! :chacha: