1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Breaking in motor, no boost, should put N/A plugs in?

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by lightemup, May 23, 2011.

1. lightemup

Okay this is prob a retarded question but I wanna see if this is necessary. I bought the car a week or so ago and it had just had the motor freshend up but only 5m of runtime appx idling no real break in. So I got it home and removed the wastegate spring bc I dont really want the boost on break in. The car has AR132 plugs in it which I felt were a little overkill anyway so I grabbed AR133 to put in after break in. I left the 132's in there for now just want to get an opinion on whether I should spend the extra $20 and put an N/A plug in for break in since its on no boost? Or maybe just pull the gap out to an N/A gap? Its a race car not a street car so as far as break in I'm just taking it down the street a little ways and bringing it up to 3/4k and lettin the engine slow the car down, and repeating. I did this on my last motor with suceess so figured Id go at it again. I also put Lucas break in additive this time just for kicks I guess.

Car info

412w
    85mm non i/c
    blowthru carb

2. 10secgoal

Break in isn't going to take very long. It's probably already done. Load spools the turbo. Just don't beat on it and it won't spool. Unless the plugs are fouling from being to cold don't worry about it. Other wise that won't matter either. If it has a tune, your probably ready to beat on it.

3. lightemup

K man thanks for the reply, motor isnt broken in yet. Its not far doesnt have much smoke coming out but it def needs a little more break in. Another reason for the no boost is so I can break it in on 93 instead of C16 much easier on the wallet.

4. 10secgoal

Yeah that's no problem. No boost and the compression is low enough to shut off and not diesel you're fine. Sure the CR is low on a boosted motor. :D

5. lightemup

Ya unfortunetly the guy couldnt give me a comp # however in looking up the head cc and piston I'm estimating it to be a little high @ 10.5.1 but I dont plan on boosting more than 14psi and that will be on C16 so it should be fine.

6. xr8tt

Keep AFR on the lean side you'll be fine..