1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

brakes??????

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by realstreet, Jul 13, 2005.

1. realstreet

ok just a little back ground..... i have the opurtunity (sp?) to get the five lug off of a 95convertable gt for basically free. the only thing is i have to come up with v-8 brakes for a 93 convertable . basically the green 93 converables brakes (98 cobra) are going on to the 95, the 95 are going onto my 92 coupe, and i have to come up with the brakes for the 93.................what is the difference between 4 cyl and v-8 front brakes ? what all would i need. since im going to have to go out and find all of this since my car is a converted 4cyl .

and help is greatly appreciated:D

2. gtluke

i'm confused, but the difference between 4cyl and v8 brakes on a 93 is rotor and caliper size, and strut mount width.
    you'll need the spindles, rotors, and calipers from a 87-93 v8
    your struts will be a tad wide for these new spindles, so you'll have to throw a washer in there to make up the space. no biggie, some struts are only available in 1 size and they give you the washers for putting in a v8 car so its not THAT hack :)
    i did this on my 86gt. the pre 87 gt's had the 87+ 4cyl brakes on them, so pretty much i did the same as you will do. i have the washers in there and have had them for 4 years now. i finally got a set of hal struts this year though, they will be going on soon.