1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

First Turbo Build, 2003 Blazer

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by MukIT, Jun 5, 2020.

1. MukIT

I am building a 2003 2wd blazer, so far I have a 6.0 LS with the Hooker LS turbo manifolds and a GT45. I narrowed and braced a 9 inch for the back and plan using a 3.50 gear. I have also done drop spindles and tubular upper control arms.

Here are some pics from when I got it this past February till now.

1.jpg #ad

2.jpg #ad

3.JPG #ad

4.jpg #ad

5.jpg #ad

6.jpg #ad

7.jpg #ad

8.jpg #ad

9.jpg #ad

91turboterror and tbird like this.
  2. nxcoupe

Nice start. Is this going to be a serious race car or just a street car? That's a lot of rear axle for a street car.

Twin Turbo Skylark likes this.
  3. MukIT

I am planning for a street strip vehicle, goal is to get it done by Aug, then next year cage it. My goal is consistent 10 sec vehicle that I can drive! I have several (in sitting around and since I can narrow them it is cost effective then I just buy the axles and slap it together. I would rather over build the rear then have to worry about blowing it apart and losing an axle. I have built plenty of strip and performance vehicles when I worked at the performance shop but never a turbo vehicle so this is my foray into the turbo world to which I have absolutely no knowledge on.

The GT45 was cheap so I grabbed to start with and may run it until next year then upgrade - but since I am not sure how to pick the right turbo it gives me time to learn and play .

nxcoupe likes this.
  4. 91turboterror

It sounds like your off to a good start. Nice truck. How much hp are you looking to make?

5. MukIT

I am hoping to make 600 at the rear wheels. I know nothing about turbos so I am hoping to learn a lot from this forum. I know the GT45 is not ideal but it was cheap to start with. I need to figure out what size exhaust to run still, this is going to be a cruiser so I need to run it back as far as I can and run a muffler. I may install a cut out for when I go to the track

6. B E N

You will be leaning on the gt45 pretty hard to hit 600 at the wheels, but it will make boost and you will learn a lot from it. Run the biggest exhaust you can, when you inevitably go to a bigger turbo you won't have to replace it.

7. MukIT

Not much progress, Covid has caused a few departures at my work and no being the last one on my team I am forced to take on the work of those who left.

I did manage to get the rear axle installed, not much progress but at least moving forward

Axle.jpg #ad