1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Bought a Billet wheel HX52...have some wastegate and boost questions...i searched

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by reef, Mar 29, 2013.

1. reef

i ordered a real Holset HX52 with the Billet 68mm wheel and a 16cm exhaust housing from a diesel supply business..i did have an H1E on order and was told they were sold out..it was really a blessing in disguise since i wanted an HX52 to begin with.

this turbo is going on my LS 4.8
    stock 862 heads with fresh valve job
    PAC 1218 spings,
    LS9 head gaskets,
    ARP head bolts,
    LS6 intake and 99 LS1 camaro cam,
    60lb injectors,
    megasquirt 1/ MSD 6010,
    meth injection
    twin walbro 255 pumps
    aeromotive rising rate regulator
    -6 feed and return lines
    stock LS6 fuel rails

im setting a goal of running 15 psi and around 500whp on pump gas an methanol injection ...i this realistic with this turbo? i knpw the HX52 is rated at flowing 88-90 lb per min..

what size waste gate should i go with?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  2. Mike86Stang

3. Mnlx

Have you found a compressor map for the hx52? I assume the 88-90 lb/min is at a fairly high pressure ratio..... any idea what they flow at a pressure ratio of 2?

4. Mike86Stang

This is only speculation since I have NEVER seen a map for a standard HX52..
    but since a HX52 PRO has a mass flow of about 105 lb/min
    a high flow HX40 has a mass flow of almost 80 lb/min

I would guess that the HX52 has a mas flow of about 90lbs a min at a pressure ratio of 2 at 2.5 im thinking it'll be right @ 100lb/min.

Again speculation but when someone finds a map for one we will finally know!

5. reef

same things i have read..there is a on of holset info on the DSM forums...horsepower ratings for the holsets are all over the place depending on who you ask..some say the HX is too small for a v8 becuse 4 cylinder guys run it and then others make a ton of power with v8's...LOL

jusy basing everything off the speculated flow numbers and the physical size of the wheels, compressor cover and exhaust housing i see no reason why it couldnt support close to 700...going to keep a realistic goal of 500 and slowly turn up the wick while checking my logs in Megasquirt..

6. Mnlx

I only ask because xx turbo will support xx hp is thrown around too much.... big difference what it will support at 7 psi vs 30 psi.

7. testchimp

I run the hx52 on a mild 5.0 and i have a jgs 40mm gate only on one hotside and i have made as low as 5lbs and now 10lbs with it.

8. reef

thanks guys..i ordered a 44mm wastegate this weekend.

9. reef

this is true...there isnt too much info about the HX52 since they are sometimes hard to come by but those who do have them seem to have fantastc results..they also seem to really like higher boost..

10. Forcefed86

very similar to the hx55 map. I think I have it i'll look when I get home.

[​IMG]#ad

This is reagrding the Holset HX55 B98 series turbo

These are about 72lbs/min at 2.9PR at maximum speed 110,000rpms at about 68% efficiency

2.5PR = 38lbs/min at about 80,000rpms -- This is the sweet spot at 78% efficiency
    2.8PR = 58lbs/min at about 90,000rpms -- Another good sweet spot at about 76% efficiency

11. reef

come to find out, my HX52 is actually the 71mm HX52 pro...that would explain the billet wheel and my part number 3599996...when i bought the turbo it was listed as a regualar HX52...

12. Mike86Stang

The whole problem with the whole Holset HX5x series turbos is that there are so many variations out there, that I think this is why finding maps is so hard.

From what I can find out and all this is just research I've been doing since this project and may not be 100% accurate.

a HX50 has a 66mm inducer /99mm exducer

a HX52 has 1 67.5mm inducer/ 99mm exducer the "Pro" ha a 71mm inducer

a HX55 has a 68mm inducer/ 99mm exducer

if anyone has more or better info then what I have gathered I'd appreciate if you could share:encouragement:

13. Forcefed86

Thats a good thing. Still isn't going to be in it's sweet spot unless you can get the PR up there.

Black is the HX52pro. Still sweet score on getting that turbo for that price. How bigs the exh housing? Probably need that spool valve for sure!

[​IMG]#ad

14. Mike86Stang

"Originally Posted by reef

come to find out, my HX52 is actually the 71mm HX52 pro...that would explain the billet wheel and my part number 3599996...when i bought the turbo it was listed as a regualar HX52..."

Part # 3599996 is not a Pro.. this is the same exact turbo I have. Unless of course I'm missing something or some one did the upgrade on it.

Part# 4027895 IS a Pro

15. reef

ive measured it, it has the 71 mm billet wheel and i have the 16cm non wastegate exhaust housing that came with the HX52 pro...its really hard to get any definite answers from holset stuff..

- - - Updated - - -

it came with a T4 16cm exhaust housing

16. Mike86Stang

Makes me wonder.. maybe my turbo is a PRO..? guess I'll measure it when and if I ever have to pull it again.

17. reef

ya never know...im wondering if mine was upgraded to a pro wheel and the stock HX52 cover was machined..

18. bigmikespec

Bringing up an old thread, anyone has the best place to buy a Holset Pro 52 turbocharger??