1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Boss block machine work in Texas

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by yoteehunter, Dec 22, 2015.

1. yoteehunter

Who can I trust to deck and hone my new boss block. I can't afford to have a new block screwed up. I don't want to have to wait months either. Any ideas?

2. centexsc

There are many reputable shops all over the state. SAM in Houston would be one of the best. Kotzur Racing Heads in San Antonio is a good one close to me. Post back on where you went. I might change the rod and piston on a coyote build and hearing feedback on other shops is a plus.

Zack

3. yoteehunter

My short block components sat at the Kotzur shop for 9 months and were never touched. I picked up my components. I took them to another shop and within 2 weeks it's ready for me to pick up. I pick them up tomorrow. Kotzur wanted over $1400 to do the machine work. I told them I wasn't that person silly enough to pay that much. All I needed was bearings, a balance job, hone and deck the block. That is retarded.

balancing should be about 200.00 my block is hone to fit as its brand new so figure 100.00 on the high end. Squaring the block I normally pay 75.00 but hell let's just say 100.00 and I needed main and rod bearings which they had 120.00 and 100.00. I felt like it was to high. I was told how it would be professional work and I'm looking at the quote and notice that they had listed 4.6l stock rod bearings and my stroker kit uses small journal Chevy rod bearings. I thought can't be that proffesional and I just picked up all my stuff. Later when I went through my stuff someone had robbed some of my wrist pin spiral locks for my diamond Pistons put the 9 remaining locks in a sandwich bag and threw them in my piston box. Complete dissapointment.

After ordering my own bearings and dropping my components off at another shop I got the work done within two weeks and at reasonable prices. I will report back later on who I used and the work I received with photos at a later date.

4. 76mmturbo

Tx, fl you guys are all lucky.

No one good in Illinois.
    This state sucks

5. yoteehunter

I used mission machine shop in San Antonio TX. I want to say thanks to Joshua and John there. Joshua did a shop walk through with me when I expressed my concerns on proper finishes and work. They keep up with there shop and their machines. He explained allot to me while I was there on changes they have made with machine attachments to work on some of the newer engines like ford modular. They had my stuff ready within about a week and a half. They were less than half the cost of what I was qouted at Kotzur. I just put my shortblock together and everything was spot on. I can't say enough about the work, time frame, and cost. My advise to anyone who went through what I did to try and get good work done at a reasonable price is to call around and find a shop that is familiar with the modular stuff. If the price is to high or they don't take time to listen to your needs them don't use them. I think the biggest reason we have overpriced shops is because people don't know what it should cost and just read on forums and don't pay attention to price. i have built allot of engines so I knew what it should cost in my area going into the build. It took me a while and searching but I couldn't be happier.

image.jpg #ad

6. 76mmturbo

Yup and thanks for the info.
    Had my long block done and first start had piston slap. Almost had a heart attack :/

7. centexsc

Good to see you found a shop that was up to the task and a good reference for others that need work.