1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Boss 302 with 1/2" heads bolts. My heads got 7/16

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by 86_stI_andrew, Feb 12, 2007.

1. 86_stI_andrew

Boss 302 with 1/2" heads bolts. My heads got 7/16

so im going to buy the new boss 302 block and boost the shit out of it. i have a set of performer rpms that are heavily ported but have 7/16 head stud holes, should i have them drilled out to 1/2"? and will this sacrifice n e strength, i dont think that it will but im not a pro on these things. just a kid with some money, a dream, and a mustang.

2. asemaster

Re: Boss 302 with 1/2" heads bolts. My heads got 7/16

break out the drill and take it slow. I have done it like that several times

3. BottleFed70

Yup, you'll need to drill out the bolt holes.

4. streetone01

it wont cost alot to have a machine shop do it either, just might be a better idea so you dont F it up, im not sure about the edlebrock heads but the trickflows are 1/2 inch most of the way with a just a little bit of the top being 7/16, if yours are like that then you probably could drill them yourself

5. Project X

To do it right with a hand drill, go pick up a 7/16" to 1/2" step drill. You don't want the drill to wander in any way.

6. SlowJoe

I THOUGHT all edelbrock heads have 1/2 holes

7. Gearhead559

not all of them

8. slowfox

The only way to get a hand drill to do it straight.

A machine shop might have one or be able to put them in a Bridgeport or a seat/guide machine and get the holes perfect. Check with a local machine shop on their price vs the step drill bit. The bits could be a tad pricey and not worth buying to do it once compared to the shop price.

Just my oppinion. Hope this helps.

9. 86_stI_andrew

thx,im gonna go with the machine shop since the block is gonna be there n e ways and the heads are gettin ported. also i sometimes have a "touch of downs sindrome" sometimes which causes me to screw up expensive parts.

10. streetcarz

I've see them done with a hand drill,would not recomend !!! With head studs it was a pain in the @ss to get the heads on and off. I did a set on the drill press,made sure the table was square to the drill bit and it worked fine.

11. rtz

12. 86_stI_andrew

well, thanks for all the info guys, umm the whole trying to do this build cheap went out the window 6 months ago.. lol. i will be putting the build up in a couple weeks, so now its got t-6 75mm 1.1AR, glenns performance fuel kit, fuel cell, victor jr heads 64 cc heavily ported, super victor intake, narrowed built 9 inch, willwoods in the back, cobra twins up front, matte black paint, matte black wheels, and holes in the bumper to snatch up any random unsecured babies.