1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Replacing a Sniper with port injection

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by silver82GT, Aug 27, 2023.

1. silver82GT

I need some opinions on replacing my semi functioning Sniper with port injection on a SBF. I realize that the Holley Dominator systems are the gold standard but they require a lot of gold to buy one especially in Canada. I talked to a friend of mine who is a Holley dealer and he said about $7500 USD or 10000 CDN to do a conversion using all name brand components and a Dominator. A few hundred dollars could be saved by using the HP and he told me not to use the Teminator X. Apparently they are having problems with them similar to the Sniper.

The reason I am asking is that I don't need 90% of the features in an HP or Dominator. All I want to do is control the fuel similar to what the Sniper is doing except with port injection. Since my turbo kit is set up for a blow through carb I want to use components that don't require me to rebuild the kit. Therefore a single plane carb style intake with injector bungs and a 4 venturi throttle body are what I would be using. Those components would work with my current cold side piping and carb hat.

I am wondering if a MicroSquirt would work in this application? I realize the MS3/MS3X would be the best way to go but again it has lots of features that I would never use. If I am reading the manual correctly all I need is a TPS, coolant sensor, a trigger from the MSD, a MAP, an O2 sensor and an IAT sensor for the MicroSquirt to work which is similar to the Sniper. I am fine with batch firing the injectors. If Tony(73Runabout) could put his car in the 8s with an MS1 using batch fire it should fine for me.

Again all I want to do is control fuel, I am quite happy using the MSD 6530 for my timing curve and launch control.

Let me know what you think.

2. Wallace

Microsquirt will do that and affordable. I just purchased one for transmission control with a harness is less than $500 from diyautotune. What do you currently have for sensors?

ummduh likes this.
  3. silver82GT

I don't have anything except a wideband. The car was originally carb'd.

4. B E N

I would stick with the Sniper, as long as you aren't having some sort of problem with it. I like the megasquirt port injection system, and it will work great, but unless you need individual runner fuel management (and can tune for it) I would choose to keep the cooling effect from the TBI. If you go to port injection you need to replace the vaporization cooling with an intercooler or at least water meth.

5. nxcoupe

Just do a terminator. I sell and install Holley EFI and I have not had any issues like you are experiencing. The only time I see any issues with any of the Holley systems(except Sniper 1), is because of installation issues and guys not following directions. How close are you to Detroit?

Briansshop likes this.
  6. silver82GT

Unfortunately the map shows about 2000 miles one way and an international border. If I was closer I would come and see you but that is a long trip. :(

7. nxcoupe

I am not in deroit but could drive there and meet. But you are correct, that is a long trip for you. If you could access any border easily, a UPS mailbox would aid you considerably.

8. silver82GT

I live over 300 miles from the US border so that isn't going to work. Unless I order from Summit or someplace that has free/discounted brokerage I can expect to add nearly 25% of the purchase price in brokerage alone.

9. Pro-SC

Kent,
    Get a pimp x from stinger. I would use their ms3 system, it has everything and why hold yourself back with msd box. You could sell it all as a package and replace it with this.
    https://www.stinger-performance.com/store/tuning/pimp-engine-management/pimpxs-engine-management
    They have not increased the price! Then get your Vic jr. Modded for injector bungs and get some injectors.
    You will need an efi harness I have an engine harness pretty sure it’s sequential, then get an intercooler. You are pretty much set up. I am going to get another one of those for my 88 sport.

ummduh likes this.
  10. ummduh

I have both and they're both great options that do what they need to do. The stinger is more expensive, and you'd need to have a stock style harness for it.

The micros 2 biggest problems for me are lack of on board logging, and minimal I/o. I had to give up the iac to use boost control.

The only thing I don't like about the stinger is that they don't install the real time clock module, so the onboard logging is basically useless on a driver. If you're constantly pulling and deleting the logs it's fine. All the logs have the same file name and time/date so you have no idea which is which.

11. Pro-SC

Every time I mod my tune it adds a new one with the date and time or I can call it what I want.
    I have done minimal logging though and I have had problems doing that. I have started playing with it again and will do more data logging before I can comment on that.

12. Punk.Kaos

You can expand the Microsquirt's IO with a canbus IO expansion module. There's a couple on the market or you can make one fairly easily from an Arduino if you're handy. This will let you put your IAC on a remote board and the Microsquirt can still control it.

13. ummduh

I'm aware. It makes more sense for me to upgrade to a 3x at this point though, as the software itself has a lot more features I'm finding id like to have.

Punk.Kaos likes this.
  14. Punk.Kaos

Fair, at a certain point expanding the Microsquirt stops making sense, and going for the bigger version is the best call. Those 3x features are super tempting too, especially for a turbo car. Lots of fun stuff.

ummduh likes this.
  15. Russell

The closed loop fuel corrections are amazing on the Holley Terminator X. I can't speak for the MS stuff. I for one am not a good tuner and realized that my fuel system was not as good as I thought it was. I am sure if I would have tried to do what I did Thursday night on a stick computer I would have lost a head gasket if not the engine.

nxcoupe likes this.