1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

megasquirt 2

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by H.P.Ranch, Jan 3, 2014.

1. H.P.Ranch

Questions, ford 347 42lb boshe inj. high imped. Having trouble tuning what do you set Inj. dead time at 13.2v? Battery offset voltage? How many squirts per revolution 8-4-2-1? When pulse width is below 2 milliseconds won't idle correct what settings do I have wrong someone was saying anything below the 2milsec you will have trouble. Thanks for the help just getting feet wet with megasquirt 2.

2. Drac0nic

What's it doing? Idle, getting up in throttle or other? Shoot for around 6 MS reqfuel with the number of squirts and alternating/simultaneous injection. You're using Green Giants from a Lightning right? Around 1mS should be a good start for the injector dead time I believe. I'm doing 2 squirts per cycle alternating and and 1.1mS dead time currently with my 50s. I may be off on the dead time too, check the manual to be sure.

How's your idle timing by the way, and how do your plugs look? Have you verified timing isn't locked for some reason? Does it act better initially then start getting worse after a few seconds, or does it act like it's having issues even right after you crank it? If it acts fine for the first few seconds you probably need to add fuel as the after start enrichment is helping you out. You may need to even add it in the warm up enrichment only. If it runs without a problem when it warms up you definitely need to start tweaking your warm up tables. Also lastly does it act better if you hammer the throttle, or get worse? Lots of questions, answer the best you can.

3. flylear45

MS 2 can easily idle those injectors. Post up your msq. Did you set up the tune from a base tune or start from a canned one. I have had problems if I didn't start from scratch.

I'm a MS 1 guy, but there are people here who can help you with your set up.

4. H.P.Ranch

The tune is start from scratch. Summit brand inj same as green giants from ford lightning 42lb. Car will start and get up to operating temp. When throttle up revs ok, but when you try to let clutch out while giving throttle it dies, wideband goes way lean. Haven't messed with startup enrichment what ever comes from the factory is the way it is now, was told not to change any of that off the get go so you wouldn't be chasing your tail. It's set at 2 squirts .76 dead time idle's at 900 rpm's "little high" timing 16* at idle not locked.

5. ashford

those summit ones are(or were) lucas injectors, i had a set of them. dead time is about .780 and .125 ms/v

6. H.P.Ranch

Ok thanks I'll try that.

7. H.P.Ranch

Ok thanks it's driveable now still idle's around 900 and still trying to find pulldown menu that has wideband calibration.

8. Mnlx

I have been looking for injector info on my msd 50lb's, where do you find your info, or is it just from experience? I ran them with ms2 without issue, but hp tuners wants way more info.

9. ashford

tools> calibrate afr

lost of testing switching between 2 and 8 squirts and diconnecting alternator running battery low and wtching afr.

10. ashford

also the engine will be smoother(fuel distribution) at 4 squirts.

11. H.P.Ranch

mspnp2 foxbody. Is there anything in the software that will let you select idle rpm? Won't read wideband correctly, using FAST wideband and won't read it correctly and have MS in OPEN loop. Found one that would read within a half of a point but can't find one that reads correct. Any ideas?

12. ashford

find out what the fast outputs voltage wise for afr then put values in custom linear wideband.

13. H.P.Ranch

Ok thanks I'll have to try that, what about selecting idle rpm?

14. H.P.Ranch

AFR=Volts

9.555=0
    10.29=.2744
    11.098=.5488
    11.833=.8232
    12.642=1.0976
    13.377=1.372
    14.112=1.6464
    14.92=1.9208
    15.655=2.1756
    16.464=2.45
    17.199=2.7244
    17.934=2.9988
    18.742=3.2732
    19.477=3.5476
    20.286=3.822
    21.021=4.0964

FAST WIDEBAND TO MS

15. fastspec2

Depends on if you are using closed loop idle or open loop strategy. If closed loop, wich is the way the pnp comes in my experience, there will be a pull down for idle control and a target idle based on ect. if you don't see it make sure idle control is set to closed loop pwm otherwise it may be greyed out.

Startup/idle control tab
    "idle control" in pull down
    Select algorithm type "pwm closed loop"

Then back in the pull down at the bopttom is
    "closed loop idle target rpm curve"

That will give you the target rpm that i think you are looking for.

With the WB and AFR transfer function go to tools, calibrate afr and insert the lowest afr and DCV and the highest afr and dcv and the MS will use a linear graph to determine afr.

Where are you located?

Good luck!

16. H.P.Ranch

Open loop was probably the reason couldn't find it, thanks for the help. Go Big Blue!!!

17. fastspec2

Cool man.
    Bout time we won one!