1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

BOSCH injectors. I now know more than anybody should.

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by bgjohnson, Apr 15, 2013.

1. bgjohnson

Just giving a shout to anybody frustrated with finding good injectors that flow well and provide incredible idle/part throttle. I've search for over 10 hours yesterday and this is what I found. Bosch injectors are one of the best, if not THE best injector for big power and great idle/tuneability for a HIGH impedance injector.

90% of injectors for sale above a 52lb/hr are MODIFIED. They may say "new Bosch injectors, new in bag" but it's because they put them in there.

Bosch part # 0280158117's are a shelby GT500 injector body. You might see them advertised as 0280158117-1000 for a 1000cc Bosch injector. Bosch does NOT put a dash "-1000" after their part number.

The highest flowing factory Bosch injector you can buy is a 0280158040, which is for a Renault. This is a 670 g/min injectors, which translate to 88.625pound/hour which translate to 930cc injectors @3 bar pressure ( 44psi )

People are also taking these and turning them into 1150cc, 1270cc and 1330cc injectors ( or bigger ) So just take that part # 0280158040 and put a -1150, -1270, or -1330 at the end. And that shows you they have been modified.

I have verified all of this with Bosch US division.

Listing for injectors for Bosch

http://www.bosch-motorsport.de/content/language2/html/2659.htm

If the part # has a "B" in front of it, it's from Bosch motorsports division. Those injectors can be up to 770 Euros A PIECE. Not worth the extra cash.

In conclusion. Make these fuckers honest, call them and ask for the exact Bosch Part number. Modified injectors are still pretty good if they have been dynamically flow tested and you are givin a spec and data sheet. But if you want factory quality with nobody miling and messing with a perfect design, go for a factory spec built injector.

If anybody wants to turn this into a sticky somewhere, I bet it helps a bunch of people since I could find ZERO info on it myself after searching TTF.

2. Chuck L

3. bgjohnson

Pretty much why I wanted an unmodified injector so badly. There's a point where you simply cannot flow the minimum required.

4. mustang-junky

The extended tip looks funky. Are people using these in place of EV1 injectors?

Jess

5. bgjohnson

Yes. They just have to use an upper and lower spacer, which also uses Viton seals. I can take pics of mine when it comes.

6. bgjohnson

Thanks for jumping in MMP with that part number!

7. bgjohnson

Just wanted to update this thread. Put 1500 miles on these injectors on E85. They only hit 78% duty cycle at 721hp on E85 at a static 50psi with an 11.2AFR. Great idle, great part throttle. Got a high of 17MPG at 70mph with my 408TT. Not sure if that's thanks to the injectors or not, but thought it was worth mentioning.

8. TurboNova

No factory makes a 2000cc injector or any of these large injectors so you will not be able to find them unmolested. You can get the Siemans Deka injectors at 212.
    There are a bunch of guys taking these injectors and modifying them to flow more.... some are doing it well and some well.... not so much. The not so much are having issues with spray and volume... quality control isn't there. I can tell you the Injector Dynamics injectors are good and work well.

9. bgjohnson

Thanks for chiming in! The more info we can get on good injectors the better.

10. topfueldart

Which injectors did you end up going with and who did you get them through? Thanks for the info and research!

11. Drac0nic

Very interesting read indeed, there's a lot to be said for what we have to work with now versus what we did back then. On the opposite side of the coin I will also point out that cruder devices have worked and worked well depending on the application, and that we live in a non-linear world. The "classic" 160s from Bosch were actually not for a gasoline/alcohol application but rather for use with LPG or CNG and were adopted by many for the application anyways. I imagine they have somewhat similar issues at some level considering that they were never really meant for atomization.

12. TurboNova

The 160s worked well in some of the larger CI engines back in the day and if you knew what you were doing you could actually get them to idle in a bank to bank ecu also. But things have come a long way, not just in injectors but the whole ecu deal. Things are now faster, control the injector better and overall work like a modern home computer compared to something from the 80s.

Back to the topic, the 160s never idled well unless you had something that was a BB Chevy or something big Cubic Inch. Then even then, you would get some funkey stuff happening around 1.2ms,... where you would add fuel but actually get a leaner mixture. If you stayed out of that range then you were fine but this was very hard to do with a small block or a smaller engine period. So now comes along some of the new injectors... guess what.. they are not Low Impedance anymore. What a concept a large injector that is hi impedance. Until then injectors were available from 19lbs to about 60lbs in hi impedance and anything above that was a low impedance injector. Why do we care? Well most OEM ecus cannot drive a low impedance injector except some of the special ecus like 2.3 Ford Turbos had a low impedance injector, Chevy trucks with the TBI had a low impedance driver. So for us guys that wanted a hi HP engine we needed something aftermarket that could drive 8 low impedance injectors. So now you have hi impedance injectors available in spray volumes more than the older low designs... now guess what, the hi impedance injector is also easier for the ecu to control. It takes less current to open and close the injector to get the fuel needed.

If you take a Bosch 160 and put it against a ID2000 (abt 200lb/hr injector) the ID injector will idle better, spool faster and overall drive down the road better. Partially from the electrical vs flow data they give you but also from the overall better injector that what we used to have.

But like I said not all of these modified injectors are created equal, In fact there are some sloppy guys out there doing some crazy stuff and selling them off as the same as ID injectors. Not cool.

Take a look at this video, stock Honda.. I know they suck. But think about this. Stock 4cylinder Honda has a 240cc injector, they put 2000cc injectors and got the engine to actually idle.... with the stock ecu. That is impressive.

[video=youtube_share;RX1xIvOWcNk]http://youtu.be/RX1xIvOWcNk[/video]

13. Hemann

Brian, Have tuned very much with the new 160lb disk type injectors? If so how are they doing?

14. bgjohnson

The ID injectors seem to be the best modified injectors around. That video is very impressive.

15. actmobmar

the bosch injectors we use w/ the race outboards(mercury) are 47 lb/hr, and available in 2 ohm and 12 ohm(hi/lo impedance)