1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Borgwarner S362 help!

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by JackGTX440, Nov 16, 2010.

1. JackGTX440

I suppose this could go in the diesel section, but it is more turbo related than diesel, so here goes. I have a borgwarner S362 on my cummins diesel. It is a S362 with a divided T4 exhaust housing and pretty big wheel. I don't know exactly what size the wheel is. The truck flat out rips. It's a 1993 Dodge Ram, club cab, dually, 4x4, stick. It is approx 450 hp at the wheels. The factory manifold on these engines is a T3 flange. In order to mount my turbo, I machined an adapter to go from T3 to T4. I was not crazy about this when I bought the turbo, because it seemed like going from T3 to T4, you'd lose some exhaust velocity, bu the guy I bought it from sold me on it. Like I said, the truck rips, but it is pretty laggy. It's ok for daily driving, but bein a stick, it sucks for trailer towing. I have to basically take it to redline (2700rpm) inbetween every gear shift, then EASE on the throttle to get the turbo to light back up. Once it lights, I pulls like a freight train.

Back to my question, is it possible to lose this T4 housing and wheel, and switch to a much smaller A/R T3 housing and coresponding exhaust wheel? I didn't know if shafts were different or anything like that. If I can get it to light up better, my milage, egt's, torque and trailer towing capabilities will all go up. When the truck had the stock holset H1C on it, it was probably 200 LESS hp and towed the trailers better...