1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo spool no boost stuck

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Turbo051, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Turbo051

Hello,

i have a 3.8 v6 having an issue with boost.

turbo spools like a jet but no boost I thought it might have been intercooler piping so replaced the hose clamps ive checked the wastegate and thats fine only running a 10psi spring also,

any input would be great

2. Jeremy

Sounds like a boost leak. Make sure the bov is closing. The turbo sounds louder as its overspinning trying to make boost so the wastegates never opening. Boost leaks can be tricky. I had one before that I could not find for the life of me. Made no boost, but heard the turbo spinning up hard. Looked everywhere and never found the issue. Took the coldside completely off and inspected and tested everything and found nothing. Put it all back on the car and boom it was fixed.

3. M&M Turbochargers

where do you have the bov referenced to ??

4. Turbo051

IMG_2368.JPG #ad
    IMG_2368.JPG #ad

Yea ive been on the hunt for boost leaks i might dis asenble and reasemble all my intercooler piping and see if that fixes anything

I have noticed that at idle my turbo finns arnt always spinning is that normal also

IMG_2368.JPG #ad

5. Mnlx

On most setups the turbo should be at least turning at idle, but if its not spinning with some throttle that's not right. Is this a new build? What turbo?

6. tbird

I know you said you check the wastegate, but Im leaning towards wastegate issue. It takes a big ass leak to waste all the volume of 10 psi.

What did you do to verify the wastegate is working properly.

7. Turbo051

Cheers for the help guys yea new setup an turbo but i sat down and started taking off the intercooler piping and a copler before the intercooler was loose bolted that up and it was good as new

Pretty stoked it was something simple

8. Jeremy

Next step is replace everyone of those worm gear clamps on the coldside with t-bolt clamps. Otherwise it will be prone to leaking due to the clamping force. While you can get away with them on mild setups, its a good idea to upgrade imo.

9. 64nailhead

Glad you found the problem. There was an easier way to check this. Grab a piece of Schedule 80 PVC that is the size of your hose on your throttle body. Put a cap on the pipe and put the pipe into throttle body hose (unhooked from the throttle body of course) then do the same at the turbo outlet with an air pressure fitting threaded in to pressure test. Just keep the air pressure regulated to less than 20 psi to keep the PVC pipes from becoming missiles lol. Hopefully it will leak zero, but less than 5 psi in 30 seconds will not be an issue. But you would've identified the leak in a hurry - and on the cheap.

vinces427bb likes this.
  10. tbird