1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Borgwarner advise

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Leighbammk2, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Leighbammk2

Hi All new here looking for anyone with some advice about a rebuilt Midlands Turbo.
    I have had a look around the forums but not sure what I am looking for lol.

I built a BAM engine and put it in a MK2 Golf Using a rebuilt Borgwarner K04/023 which was rebuilt by midland turbo they used their own housing and core.
    I have now had 3 turbos from them and all of them smoke on cold start up and idle but not on boost, in fact if I drive it hard including track use the turbo does not smoke but then leave it idling after 5 mins it starts to smoke again until used again and it stops.
    I am using Millers 10w50 Nanodrive I was wondering if the oil could be to thick for the Turbo when cold? or if any of you think fitting an oil restrictor would help as I don't run any oil restrictors.
    Any advice or pointers would be great as I normally run NA
    Many Thanks Leigh

2. 5.0thunder

I've seen turbos leak and smoke from too viscous of an oil before. I'd try a lower viscosity (when cold) oil and see if it helps before taking anything apart.