1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

boost tuning without MAP???

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by Dave R, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Dave R

Hey guys,
    I am gathering the info to go ahead with the turbo idea on my 4V setup in my Fairlane and ran into something different than I'm used to. On my old pushrod with the EEC IV and even with the BS3 setup, I had a MAP sensor to use for boost tuning. My 94 Mark VIII setup doesn't have a MAP. What do I use for tables with boost? How is that tuned around??? I'm going to be sticking with the EEC IV and use a Quarterhorse for tuning.

Thanks
    Dave

2. ashford

it works ok, ford uses load ie %cylinder filling calculated from the maf, so if it dosent actually read map pressure it just uses % cylinder filling. the axis can be changed for both arf targets and timing.

3. Dave R

Does that work for blowthru MAF as well or does it matter?

I guess I'd need to keep the factory O2's operating then too huh? I was thinking of leaving them open and running a standalone wideband.

I'm finding I can delete some things. I have the EGR and IMRC's gone as well as the Evap. The fan will run on the EEC setting through a separate relay for power in a single speed setup. I wanted cruise setup but the VSS isn't looking like it'll setup with the factory 1963 cable for me to keep the factory gauge setup. That's a bummer. No VSS then.

Hell, I'm thinning this harness out every minute!

Thanks bud!

Dave

4. 95MustangGT331

Yes blow thru works. I use a ba5000 in a 2.8x in ID tube. Single 02, but normally run it in open loop. One wideband logged via egr connector.

5. Dave R

Sweet! Thanks guys! I can put it all together but tuning is my fear.

6. 95MustangGT331

Dont sweat it. I will get you going. I had a mentor tutor and went to the moates tuning class 2x. Btw, this was from the 2nd class. Brought my car for a demo. https://youtu.be/wdK4RYNcp9E

7. Dave R

I'm interested in a class. Where do I find out about that???

I'll have to watch the whole thing tonight. Thanks!

Dave

8. ashford

i own that particular definition if you need me to look at anything. yes keep the factory o2, it don't use them when target afr is not stoich unless it sees stoich then it just dumps fuel in. add aftermarket wideband controller and wire it to evap or egr delta ( egr if memory serves) and it will log the afr.

9. Dave R

Ugh. I was close to pulling those wires all out. I'll wire in the EGR wires to where the DP will be and run it there. I guess I need to runt he factory O2's in the Dp as well right? I've read that in the compressed hit side, they will go out quickly.

Glad I started asking now before I sealed up all the wiring.

10. 95MustangGT331

Yes down pipe. Min of 12in, prefer 18in from turbine. Keep as much as possible length from end of pipe

11. ashford

the narowbands can withstand pre turbine( dodge 4 bangers do this) and will give you individual bank control, the wide band not so much as their accuracy is dependant on temperature that is controlled @750* f by the controller.

12. Dave R

Hmmm. I have read allover (mostly on LS cars though since that's what I am working on now) that they soot up easily and don't read accurate in the compressed side. Time to do more research.