1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Wideband sensor placement

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by Mach40, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Mach40

I have a wideband o2 sensor for my DFI. My turbo kit only has one bung for the O2 and its in the downpipe. Shouldn't the O2 sensor go before the turbo in the headers? Won't it read diferently before the turbo? compared to after the turbo?

2. Matt Cramer

Wideband sensors can overheat if put upstream of the turbo. You're better off putting it after the turbo. The readings would be the same if the sensor could last upstream of the turbo, as there's no chemical changes until you get to a catalytic converter or air injection pump.

3. Mach40

Thank you, thats all I wanted to know. I kind of figured that but I wasn't too sure.

4. Craig Smith

I'll have to disagree on this one. There are significant temperature and pressure differences in the header vs. downpipe, and both Bosch and NTK publish specifications on their sensors that show the relationship between these two factors and measured AFR. The difference is not negligible.

Many factory turbo cars have sensors in the header, but the wideband sensors used in the aftermarket are not designed to operate under those conditions.

5. jaredsamurai

Agreed. Isn't there a multiplier used based on the backpressure if you have it upstream of the turbine?

6. Matt Cramer

Good call on that, Craig. I should have said "The readings would be the same if the sensor could work properly upstream of the turbo."

7. Mach40

I am talking about your typical bosch sensor, not a NTK. I don't think it will hold up in front of the turbo

8. mtpturbo

Craig is correct. I've seen the charts and the measurement error is substantial at the higher pressures upstream of the turbo.

-Chris

9. Mach40

the correct placement would be in front of the turbo. Is that what you are telling me?

10. MONTEGOD7SS

After the turbo, 6-12" downstream.

11. Mach40

K I have it in the right spot then! LOL