1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Boost Ramping With Auto Trans

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Andy Dorsett, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Andy Dorsett

Let us say you have a car designed around street driving. It has a fairly tight converter. The engine has a smallish cam, long runner manifold, 9.5:1 compression, etc. It has all the things that would make it have excellent low end torque and throttle response but would cause it to hit the limit of pump gas significantly earlier than higher reving setups. Boost ramping could be used to bring in more boost in the upper speed range. What would happen when you shifted. With the tight converter the engine speed drops a lot more than a race setup. You would almost certainly get a transient of too much boost at the lower engine speed due to the inertia of the turbo wheels and response of the PID in the boost controller. Would this transient be enough to worry about? Would there be enough detonation to cause engine damage over time?

2. Andy Dorsett

Not even an opinion?

3. makka

I dont think it will matter that much.
    how many RPM are you dropping on the shifts?
    I am running a really tight (standard) converter that stalls around 1800 and I drop from 7000 to about 5500 (I think) on the 1-2 shift, Im not sure what it drops on the 2-3 shift as I am already over the highway speed limit at the 1-2 shift!

this is a NA car, but it gives you an idea of how far the revs drop with a tight converter, I reckon you should be fine

4. Agent86

with my 9.7:1 I6 i found that the above issues werent a problem as i only found detonation higher in the rpm range. as a consequence i needed to drop high rpm boost or timing. lower rpm boost didnt present an issue. HTH