1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Spraying water before compressor

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 302tt, Jul 10, 2006.

1. 302tt

link

link to an interesting discussion about spraying water before the compressor. They claim higher efficiency in the compressor, also the fine atomized water sprays used are said to not damage the compressor.

BS or good idea ?

2. xr8tt

It does, remember the comp wheel spins over 100,000 rpm...
    Buy or make water resivour with sealed cap so it can take some boost, one line above water to turbo / boost with one way valve inline.. The bottom line to inlet before throttle body with water pump inline work out what size outlet is required.. {Some don't use pump}a mixture of metho and water works o/k...

3. mfpmax

Quite some time ago I was reading a thread on this subject and someone posted pictures of a damaged compressor wheel from water injection.

Now if Aquamist claims their system atomizes so well that it won't damage the compressor wheel, then thats a different story.

4. ubeenbit

It does make the compressor more efficient for reasons I cannot remember now, I was in nuke school a long time ago. But, that does not make it a good idea. Turbines like very dry air. You cannot get much finer mist than steam and most turbine manufacturers try to ensure that steam entering a turbine is very dry before it goes through the turbine and there are a lot of safety precautions to ensure water droplets and water never enter into the turbine. Bad things happen when it does from flying blades and cracking blades. Its called impingement and is not good. I know I am talking about a steam turbine, but the same principle applies to the compressor side of the turbo.

5. Malandrino

Ok so you have the mist b4 the blades, what happens. With out proper atomization of the water there will improper balnce on blades. Improper balance on the blades, means unbalanced weight distribution on the shaft thus creating uneven bearing wear. Not to mention the impact of the larger particles of water on the blade, damaging them. Steam is the best approach, def one the finest atomization. Very fine atomization will work just as well how ever. In college i was told to try nitrous nozzels by a proffessor connected to a windsheild washer bottle, never got to, but nitrous is injected very finely.
    so thers somethin to try

6. ubeenbit

I was in no way suggesting using steam. That would be nuts to even attempt on an auto. Steam is about the finest of a mist you can get, actually it is a vapor or gas at this point, but it still has a moisture content. Turbine manufactures try their best to ensure what enters the turbine is as free from moisture as possible. So, with that in mind, there is no means possible of spraying water that will not lead to damaging a compressor wheel spinning at high speed.

Also, if I remember right propane was experimented with by injecting into the compressor. This made the overall efficiency better(less heating of the air), but propane never really took off like spraying alcohol.

Jason

7. Lincs 84 351

probably because it increases the density through the compressor. Thicker air = easier to pump.

Depends on the appplication....Some of the old Pratt and Whitney JT series engines and all the -10 Allison T-56's used water injection before the compressor section to make more power on takeoff.

8. Samhain

on the dyno my car made almost 1.5 lbs more with a shot infront of the compressor. I have one infront of the compressor and one after.

9. Malandrino

Propane "i think" is used in some of the heavy duty drag cars. Its used on the massively large turbos to get them to spool. Injected right at the turbine. not sure what haps after it spools tho