1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Boost pressure to top port on wastegate

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by UCTURBO, Apr 22, 2013.

1. UCTURBO

Thanks to an argument I'll open another thread. I have a turbosmart boost T at the moment. Im trying to run over 27psi on my current setup. 27psi is what the car makes with the T fully open or with no lines to the wastegate so its obviously opening because of backpressure in the exhaust manifold. What Im trying to do is help the spring stay shut with some boost on the top port of the wastegate and use the boost T on the bottom port to regulate it. Any thoughts? Thanks

2. lowboost2v

Use to Boost Tee on the bottom port and vent the top port to the atmosphere.

3. lowboost2v

4. turbofreek

Yea ams1000 and up with co2 to push down on the top of the gate. Venting won't make it work.

And next time be a bit more detailed in what your after

5. jaredsamurai

Are we talking about a traditional external gate here or an integral gate? I wasn't privileged enuff to see the other thread if you've already shown a pic so I apologize.

6. Bad Medicine Racing

Your turbo could be out of breath at 27.

7. ashford

are you running a screamer pipe or is it recirculated back into the exhaust?

8. Forcefed86

You sure don't need C02 to use the top port or AMS1000. If your making 27 with no pressure to the gate, "T" an adjutable valve on the top port. Then slowly open the valve until your desired boost is reached. Boost pressure should go up if yout turbos not out of steam. You can also add springs to your current wastegate and continue to use the bottom port.

I used a mini pneumatic regulator and routed it inside the cab. Worked great, 9-30psi with the twist of a knob in the cab. And the regulator I used had a nice locking feature. All for under $20.

LIke so...

[​IMG]#ad

You may want to leave your bottom port vented to air if your just shooting for max pressure.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  9. PrecisionTurboMustang

Amen. You have people getting on here accusing others of bad tech and giving bad tech in the first place.

10. DeboDaddy

Omgz, don't let "returnofthefreek" see this. This good info is what caused him to have a coronary on the last thread... Btw, this is also the method I use, and it works great.

11. jaredsamurai

The reason I asked if its an integral 2 port is that I believe that diagram should be reversed in that case as the diaphragm acts in the opposite way of an external gate.

12. UCTURBO

Its external gate plumb back, I also set it up the same as the above pic, but even with full pressure on top and bottom they equal each other and still blew the gate open at 27psi and was inconsistant (because it was at the far end of the springs capabilities). I ended up cutting the spring (it now blows open at 22psi). I plumbed the boost T in the bottom port and full pressure to the top. So now I can turn it up 28-29psi or higher as the top port has more pressure than the bottom helping the spring stay shut.

13. blown385

I run my JGS bottom port open to atmoshere and add pressure to the top .

It takes much less pressure this way . :grin:

This is a piston style gate .

14. turbofreek

I'm man enough to say I'm wrong. I like it got the attention though to help this guy. Sounds like is out of turbine flow. No coronary from me.:encouragement:

15. PrecisionTurboMustang

A bigger turbo altogether might get him what he is after (more power) and could be cheaper than what you suggested. You suggested one option when clearly there are several. We're trying to not be so damn mean on here all the time as it was scaring people away. Still bffs? Lol

16. turbofreek

You know it princess. Rust is everywhere in my head. Just wish there was a few brain cells active still.

17. blown385

or pin the gate shut and find out ..........

18. NOSLO86

Its amazining --- this is the advice I gave UCTURBO in his original post --- a manual boost controller that gets hooked to the top of the gate and the bottom of the gate and works as a bleeder ---- and I get called a Fool.

19. PrecisionTurboMustang

Now thank us for stepping in and pointing out who the true fool was......

20. NOSLO86

Thank You --- Thank You --- Thank You........

[​IMG]#ad