1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Boost pressure to the top of the gate need info please

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Mike1965, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Mike1965

If I run pressure to the top of the gate to make more boost were would I take the pressure form and how would I regulate it and would I need a bleed valve .

Were can I buy the parts needed to do this

Mike

2. rockoosi1

Are you trying to keep the WG shut at all times?

3. Mike1965

To be honest I'm not sure what I'm trying to do lol all kidding aside I would like to run 2 mbc with mac valves for 2 higher boost settings and run of the W/G spring on the street.

Can I run all the hoses to the bottom of the gate or do I have to run 1 to the top and regulate it

4. turboeverything

You need a manual boost controller to do what you're trying to do without spending a lot of money

5. Jeremy

You would run a T fitting from the side port vac line to a manual controller and from the manual controller to the top port. What is your gates spring pressure and what is your max boost goal?

6. Mike1965

what my goal is to run off the gate 5psi 1st stage and then 12psi 2nd stage and 20psi 3rd stage

My W/G has 2 ports in the bottom and 2 ports in the top and I have the following parts:

2 - 3 way Mac valves

2 - manual boost controllers

2 - adjustable hobbs switches / if I don't need these that fine

I will need a drawing (diagram) if possible on how to do this

7. Jeremy

If there are two ports on the side and two ports on top the other unused ones will need plugged. What wastegate is it?
    What your trying to do with mbc controllers wont work. To run that wide variety of boost on a single gate you will need a dual port connection (top and bottom) method and an electronic controller to switch boost setting unless you just plan to do manual changes hen you want to change boost levels.

8. trbo355

You can use the top port with a regulator to raise boost but depending on exhaust backpressure you cant go very high. If you have a 7 or 8 lb spring you might get to 15 lbs boost using the top port before the backpressure pushes the gate off like a simple poppet valve. Whatever boost it maxes at will be the same boost if you tore off all the boost lines and let the gate run free.

If you have some large exh side turbos with lower backpressure you will get farther up in boost.

9. Mike1965

The turbo I am using is a Garret 88mm with a 1.39ar and the motor is a 512ci mopar wedge with EFI if this helps at all.

Thanks for all the replies so far all good

Mike